Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Blue Ribbon Gives the Owls Another Last Place Prediction in SBC

Well, Athlon Sports said 9th…while USA can't win it anyway, and was pegged 10th.

Blue Ribbon, who has more "traditional" respect says last (9th) for the Owls, with no USA mentioned:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Sun Belt Conference

1. FIU
2. Arkansas State (Free)
3. Louisiana-Lafayette
4. Troy
5. Middle Tennessee
6. Western Kentucky
7. ULM
8. North Texas
9. Florida Atlantic

If you are looking for basic information on all of the Teams in one handy dandy place, get a copy of this book. I am posting a link below to purchase it. More that worth the money; especially considering that it will take loads of time to accumulate, and you will have to visit a myriad of sites to do it. However, if you like to do that sort of thing though, then have at it!

Here are some quote highlights from the various sections on FAU from Head Coach Carl Pelini and OC Brian Wright:

Pelini…

"There's always excitement when you get hired," Pelini said. "Players are excited about the change and the new direction of the program. It's the staying power that they don't have. They begin to test you – I don't even know if it's conscious – but they don't have the endurance for it that's necessary.

"The feedback is constant. The punishments are constant and current. You've got to let them know that you're going to be there a long time, and if they're going to be part of this program, they're going to abide by our expectations. So, that takes time, to get that message across. But we are, slowly but surely."

"I've always recruited at the junior college level. I probably went a little heavier than I will in other years," Pelini said. "You might take eight or nine your first year just to change the mentality of the team."

"You've got to have great staying power to be a consistent football program. That's just an educational thing I try to hit them with every day in different ways," Pelini said. "You can change an attitude in a day, but it takes time to change a culture. That's what we're trying to do."

Wright…

"Alex (Deleon) really stepped up this spring as a threat in the pass game," Wright said. "He made a couple of incredible plays this spring for our offense, and I look forward to seeing much more out of him."

"We have a lot of work to do with that position," Wright said of the WR battle. "We need to find a guy, or two, that can help us out there. We really came out of the spring without solving that."

"He ran it the best when we were out there, 11 on 11, in live action," Wright said of Wilbert.

There's a BUNCH more to be had, including some decent analysis to boot if you are interested.

2012 Football Yearbook Printed Copy *Pre Order
Back to the top

Re: Blue Ribbon Gives the Owls Another Last Place Prediction in SBC

None of the pre-season books think we'll do much.  I look at it this way;  With a coaching staff that would've coached, and players that cared, we probably could have won 3-4 games last season.

Now we have both.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

I agree. There was sense of passion lacking last season on the players and coaching staff. The injection of the new coaching staff seems to have reinvorigate the players. I say at least 6-6 season.
Back to the top

Blue Ribbon Gives the Owls Another Last Place Prediction in SBC

I don't care if we were picked for 1st, when you leave out an entire team you lose credibility to me. No, USA is not eligible to win the Belt championship this year but their games vs. Belt teams DO still count in the standings for everyone else!

But with a 1-11 team and a new, untested coaching staff, we have to prove ourselves which is fine to me, we have to win on the field not the magazines!
Back to the top

I just find all of these articles to be complete jokes. How do you not have USA in there? That just proves of the lack of research that these people do for us smaller conferences
Back to the top

I've never seen Blue Ribbon on the news stands so don't know how credible  they are.    In any event, based on last season, most publications have us sucking until we prove different.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Helen Keller could've known that we were going to be bad.  What I'm trying to say is that it wouldn't have taken much research to find that we were gong to be so horrid. But leaving out USA proves that they probably didn't spend 30 minutes on the SBC
Back to the top

HootinHollerin said

Helen Keller could've known that we were going to be bad.  What I'm trying to say is that it wouldn't have taken much research to find that we were gong to be so horrid. But leaving out USA proves that they probably didn't spend 30 minutes on the SBC

Leaving USA off is another reason to question their credibility for sure.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Pabst received a Blue Ribbon for their Beer, however it does not mean they have a great beer.  Maybe good during a day of fishing or a day out on the water.

Anyway, Blue Ribbon is about as credible as FAU in China.  I would much rather be expected to finish last, then to be expected to finish first.  I don't like having a target on our backs.

GO OWLS!

Back to the top

Looking back at our history (all 10 years of it) I think as a team we have a much better record when we are the underdogs.  When we were picked to finish last and get blown out every game we could usually surprise people  and finish high in the belt (With the exception of the last two seasons).  I know Coach Pelini has to hate being designated the laughing stock of the football community so he's out to prove the sports writers all wrong.  I think the players have the same chip on their shoulder.  I say let all the blogs pick us for last, it will make the season that much better when we win our bowl game. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: