Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU more popular than FIU last year...

Add topic

Just as an interesting FYI…

according to FIU's Fall 2011 Fact Book:

FTIC (first time in college, a.k.a. freshmen) applications: 16,626
Admitted: 6,545 (~39%)

vs FAU (Fall term only, as implied by FIU's chart):

FTIC (first time in college, a.k.a. freshmen) applications: 24,667
Admitted: 7,699 (~31%)

8,041 more people applied to FAU than FIU last year and thus it was harder to get into FAU for the Fall semester.

However, FIU does enroll smarter students… for now.

FIU GPA 3.7 / SAT 1139 / ACT 25
FAU GPA 3.4 / SAT 1074 / ACT 23

The numbers will obviously change this Fall, so enjoy it while it lasts.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Re: FAU more popular than FIU last year...

One could argue that the reason FAU receives more applications is due to entrance standards being tougher at FIU based on the stats of those accepted there??

Back to the top

FAU more popular than FIU last year...

That's entirely possible… but I highly doubt people are self-selecting themselves out of FIU and applying to FAU instead.

I think people might be self-selecting themselves out of UF/FSU and applying to FAU/FIU instead or self-selecting themselves out of even UCF at this point and applying to FAU/FIU instead. I don't think there's enough division between FAU and FIU to the average high school student except one's in Boca and one's in Miami. Furthermore, you may be drawn to one over the other because of the strength of a given program.

What was the impact of the football stadiums on freshman applications?

Well, FIU's stadium opened in 2008, technically, and the university saw a 2,450 student jump between Fall 2008 and Fall 2009. Compare that to FAU's stadium, which opened in 2011, giving us an 11,940 student jump between Fall 2010 and Fall 2011 (12,926 FTIC student jump overall).

Mind you, FIU's was a "renovation" and ours was completely new, but again the numbers tell the story of how excited high school students were about our new stadium and what impact that had on admissions.

Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

…I highly doubt people are self-selecting themselves out of FIU and applying to FAU instead.

That, my friend, is exactly the response we were Hoping for…and good for:

For yesterday of course ;D
Back to the top

Yup, and are our formal admissions application standards (minimum required to apply) and lower than FIU? Curious.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Yup, and are our formal admissions application standards (minimum required to apply) and lower than FIU? Curiou

UH….what?
Back to the top

FAU is way more connected with the northern and western part of the state I.E many of FAU's students are from Jacksonville Tampa Orlando. FIU only really connects to the South Florida area jot saying FIU does not try but FAU is way more freshmen focused while FIU is Miami Dade CC focused.
Back to the top

Tim said

GeorgiaOwl said

Yup, and are our formal admissions application standards (minimum required to apply) and lower than FIU? Curiou

UH….what?

What are the minimum GPA and SAT/ACT scores needed to apply for admissions at each Florida U?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Tim said

GeorgiaOwl said

UH….what?

What are the minimum GPA and SAT/ACT scores needed to apply for admissions at each Florida U?

FAU has the highest in the state if I am not mistaken
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Technically, FAU's minimum GPA is 2.6.

I say "technically" because the Academic Committee that recommended it to the BOT for approval requested "For FTIC admissions (starting) Fall 2008, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions should be directed to use, as a guideline, a cutoff of 2.6 HSGPA. Students presenting a 2.6 or below should have their entire records carefully examined and separately considered for admission."

Our minimum SAT is 1360.

Critical Reading 460
Math 460
Writing 440

Obviously that's 1360 by the new 2400 scale, not the old 1600; by the old scale, it's a minimum of ~907 (it should be 1,000+, IMO).
Our average is 1074.

I couldn't find specific cutoffs for FIU. Most universities are 2.0 to apply, even if their average GPA is a 4.something.

Back to the top
Control functions: