Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

If you're going to submit a photo to the newspaper...

Add topic

…you might want to make sure that you spell things correctly so you don't embarrass the school.

::)

The story explains that "in an effort to bring awareness to the Florida Atlantic University (FAU) community about the dangers of tobacco use and secondhand smoke, 25 volunteers recently cleaned up cigarette butts. Less than an hour after they started, the volunteers had collected more than 10,000 butts.

Nice gesture though. Didn't know we had an Exercise Science and Health Promotion club… must be new.

Back to the top

Re: If you're going to submit a photo to the newspaper...

:o :o :o

Maybe owlcountry40 was on the hunt for the butts!

;D

Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

…you might want to make sure that you spell things correctly so you don't embarrass the school.

::)

The story explains that "in an effort to bring awareness to the Florida Atlantic University (FAU) community about the dangers of tobacco use and secondhand smoke, 25 volunteers recently cleaned up cigarette butts. Less than an hour after they started, the volunteers had collected more than 10,000 butts.

Nice gesture though. Didn't know we had an Exercise Science and Health Promotion club… must be new.

I am a non-smoker who doesn't care if someone chooses to smoke…everyone knows what the dangers are to your health now.  What always irritated me about smokers is their view that the world is their ash tray and they can just throw those butts's anywhere they want…Nice work in making a point and making campus a cleaner place.
Back to the top

Maybe they spelled it wrong to get more attention to their cause - that might do it - but not in a great way for FAU to me. Can't ya just hear the UCF/FIU guys when they see this?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Maybe they spelled it wrong to get more attention to their cause - that might do it - but not in a great way for FAU to me. Can't ya just hear the UCF/FIU guys when they see this?

Ehh, I've seen spelling issues of words like "your" vs "you're" on FIU websites so I doubt they'd have much of a case. That's the bigger problem: school officials, especially in Admissions and PR, who tweet/update FB with gross spelling errors. They don't care - "oh, whatever!" - but come on, you have to know that it makes the school look bad. Anyone who is going to work in these arenas should have to take the following pre-test during their job interview:

"Choose the correct answer below each sentence to fill in the blank.

1) We are the FAU ____.
    A) Owls.
    B) Owl's.

2) ______ going to be very happy once you see our beautiful campus!
    A) Your.
    B) You're.

3) Come out to the new Rat's Mouth location and tailgate! To get ______, you can take the Breezeway north from HPT.
    A) There.
    B) Their.
    C) They're.

4) We are going to win the SBC title and win a bowl game _______.
    A) To.
    B) Too.
    C) Two."

If you get 100%, you move on to the actual interview  :)
Back to the top

Ive always enjoyed Rick's quote in regards to spelling and grammar.

"Errors in spelling and grammar are added for those who like to find them."

8)

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

If you're going to submit a photo to the newspaper...

Owl2Doc said

GeorgiaOwl said

Ehh, I've seen spelling issues of words like "your" vs "you're" on FIU websites so I doubt they'd have much of a case. That's the bigger problem: school officials, especially in Admissions and PR, who tweet/update FB with gross spelling errors. They don't care - "oh, whatever!" - but come on, you have to know that it makes the school look bad. Anyone who is going to work in these arenas should have to take the following pre-test during their job interview:

"Choose the correct answer below each sentence to fill in the blank.

1) We are the FAU ____.
    A) Owls.
    B) Owl's.

2) ______ going to be very happy once you see our beautiful campus!
    A) Your.
    B) You're.

3) Come out to the new Rat's Mouth location and tailgate! To get ______, you can take the Breezeway north from HPT.
    A) There.
    B) Their.
    C) They're.

4) We are going to win the SBC title and win a bowl game _______.
    A) To.
    B) Too.
    C) Two."

If you get 100%, you move on to the actual interview  :)

A, B, A, B

;D I'm trying to add to my virtual trophy case on The Nest!
Back to the top
Control functions: