Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UCONN-style Greek Amphitheater proposed for FAU

Add topic

Back in 2008, the University of Connecticut made a few headlines when it was announced that they were building the "first authentic Greek amphitheater in the U.S." Schools like Berkeley would disagree about that proclamation, but eh, whatever.

Anyway, there aren't too many pictures floating around the internet on the UCONN one; these shots are from 2009 but GoogleMaps StreetView show it hasn't progressed too far (perhaps because they're cutting marble in Greece and shipping it to Connecticut). I point it out because a UCONN-style Greek Amphiteater "with Hellenic Society Paideai" has been proposed for FAU, with a donor pledging up to 500k for the project. Right now the construction firm, "Turner", is hammering out a budget proposal. FAU's most recent Boca Raton campus Master Plan even has a spot picked out for it on the south side of Indian River Street across from GPT near the pond there.

I suppose this gives you an avenue to do a "Shakespeare in the Park" type thing at FAU, and maybe that's what they're aiming for (I don't know much about Hellenic Society Paideais). It's a shame that the other outdoor amphitheater on campus is almost never used.
Back to the top

Re: UCONN-style Greek Amphitheater proposed for FAU

I can think of an outside "theater" over by the swimming pool that should be redone to equal SBC teams . It's called the baseball field. I know, no one is donating money for that project.
Back to the top

is that 500k a down payment? does someone plan on donating the rest of it? this seems like an expensive project…like whats already been said there are tons of things around campus that need fixing…Personally I'd like to see some improvement to the library
Back to the top

owlmart said

is that 500k a down payment? does someone plan on donating the rest of it? this seems like an expensive project…like whats already been said there are tons of things around campus that need fixing…Personally I'd like to see some improvement to the library

No offense, but you are not understanding this.

While a new library would be nice, it would not pay for itself.

A building like this would end up paying for itself and FAU would end up making money as the greeks would pay rent (like paying rent for a dorm).

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Greek people? They would rent it? What for? Sing a longs?  ;D

What's that one class everyone has to take that's all about Socratese and Plato? It was in SO250, tons of kids, not very fun. Anyhow, the prof of that class could use it, thats about it.

But, who am I to tell you no if you want to make a faux marble amphitheater at FAU for…something
Back to the top

Muffins. I thought we were talking about Greek housing.

Why would we need an amphitheatre?

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

UCONN-style Greek Amphitheater proposed for FAU

owlmart said

is that 500k a down payment? does someone plan on donating the rest of it? this seems like an expensive project…

UCONN was doing theirs for about 1/5th that (granted, all the labor was donated as a "community gift" to the university).

owlmart said

like whats already been said there are tons of things around campus that need fixing…

Right but these are donor projects, aka pet projects. Things that need to be "fixed" can be covered with "Capital Outlay" funds that are pretty much guaranteed.

owlmart said

Personally I'd like to see some improvement to the library

Don't worry, FAU has asked for $40M for a library renovation in their Capital Improvement Plan request that we submit to the State Legislature. That's not to say we'll get it or that we'll get it soon but I mention it here to let you know that FAU considers it a priority or it wouldn't be on that list.

And at a pricetag of $40M, you're talking a major expansion/renovation (remember, most new buildings cost about that much).

NJOWL said

Why would we need an amphitheatre?

*shrug* Back when Barry Kaye was schmoozing Brogan, he talked about potentially building a museum on campus to house his wife's collection of miniature buildings (you might have seen her castle in the Student Union for awhile there). We wouldn't "need" that either but again, these are pet projects.

TeamBeer said

But, who am I to tell you no if you want to make a faux marble amphitheater at FAU for…something

hahahaha. I'm sure FAU will find a couple uses for it during that first year so they don't look unappreciative. Step show, outdoor lecture, some sort of concert, recital, whatever.

Maybe Brother Micah can start his fights there.
Back to the top

I would rather see TRUE Greek Housing first but if it is a gift then take it. Maybe that can be something to point out the fact we DON'T have fraternity/sorority housing on campus and help get it.
Back to the top

That is great news about the library, I can't imagine they would get all $40m but whatever they can get would be great…It is due for an upgrade
Back to the top

owlmart said

That is great news about the library, I can't imagine they would get all $40m but whatever they can get would be great…It is due for an upgrade

Agreed, especially that god-awful plaza in front of the building
but
to their credit they have been renovating it over the years. The all-night study area/Hillel addition would be the biggest one, the Dunkin Donuts the next, they put in the Media Center as well as new carpeting and completely re-did the lobby area (used to have a bunch of computers, now it has comfy chairs). Oh, and they put on a new roof.

I don't know what's in the plans for the library, as I imagine you could only realistically expand into the parking lot there (which has been marked for removal before, as a park). There are (were?) also

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

plans for a $25M "Science and Technology Library" at some point down the line, which would make the most sense somewhere on the "Science Broadway" over by the medical school building. That item doesn't show up in recent Capital Improvement Plans, so not sure whether they dropped it altogether or decided to mute it so they would be more likely to get the Boca library renovation request approved.

In any case, I hope it does happen once the funding turns around again. When they build a second library, people will probably have to start referring to "the library" as "the Wimberly library" to differentiate. Maybe they'll call it The W, for short. Who knows.

I'd like to see them plan for a third library on the south/south-east side of campus as the Art, Literature and Film library (the ALF). I envision it having books and industry journals from the fields of photography, 2D and 3D art, filmmaking, Pulitzer Prize-winning fictional works, etc.

And that's part of the reason why I play the lottery.
Back to the top
Control functions: