Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU's Proposed Move to Premium Streaming Coverage

What do you think of FAU's planned move to Premium Streaming Coverage

Great Idea, the School Should Have Done This A While Ago!
Good Idea, but Need to See How Many Will Pay...
Bad Idea, They Will Lose Interest and Not Break Even

You must select between 1 and 41 options

Spoke to an FAU staff member who provided some tentative details on the movement to premium coverage plans.

This appears to be a baked deal folks, and most likely to happen, just a matter of what scale it will happen on.

Details as of now, which are subject to change:

1. Fee structure will align to what is already in place in the market at other programs on our level.
2. Sole provision, with no other sources being allowed to stream.
3. Video included for Football and Basketball.
4. Target implementation date is first football game.

A few things here…$69.95 or so per year for all of the games is not a bad deal.

Monthly charge of $9.95 or so isn't either, when you consider you are getting video.

However, it's not completely clear what they could/will see in returns.

As it stands, Baseball (at its peak) gets about 80 listeners. Women's basketball 20 or so.

The other two sports, Football and Men's Basketball is skewed due to ESPN piggybacking their own stream for folks to dial up as well, so these offerings are not truly measurable until the feed is isolated into one place.

Anyway, what says you??
Back to the top

Re: FAU's Proposed Move to Premium Streaming Coverage

FAU's Proposed Move to Premium Streaming Coverage

On the Video front, is that Video for ALL Football and Basketball games, including away games?

Then it would be worth it.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

If it has video feed to all away games….sounds good to me.  If it's just a radio feed…waste of money.  Howard Stern is the only thing worth paying to listen to on the radio.
Back to the top

It depends, they will try to add feeds from opponents if available but that isn't guaranteed.

Audio, like years past, will be both home and away.
Back to the top

I think it's a good idea for the folks that can't physically watch FAU games, especially when we're at home. A good friend of mine is in Cincinnatti and just doesn't get to see us play, so he'd be happy to pay $10 a month to see a couple of football games and 5 basketball games every few weeks.

for me, it doesn't make sense as I'm going to be at the games anyway. I do pay for the road games though.
Back to the top

Rick said

Spoke to an FAU staff member who provided some tentative details on the movement to premium coverage plans.

This appears to be a baked deal folks, and most likely to happen, just a matter of what scale it will happen on.

Details as of now, which are subject to change:

1. Fee structure will align to what is already in place in the market at other programs on our level.
2. Sole provision, with no other sources being allowed to stream.
3. Video included for Football and Basketball.
4. Target implementation date is first football game.

A few things here…$69.95 or so per year for all of the games is not a bad deal.

Monthly charge of $9.95 or so isn't either, when you consider you are getting video.

However, it's not completely clear what they could/will see in returns.

As it stands, Baseball (at its peak) gets about 80 listeners. Women's basketball 20 or so.

The other two sports, Football and Men's Basketball is skewed due to ESPN piggybacking their own stream for folks to dial up as well, so these offerings are not truly measurable until the feed is isolated into one place.

Anyway, what says you??

Not a bad deal as long as it includes video of all the football and basketball games.  It's actually pretty reasonable. 
Back to the top

Then probably not worth it unless you are out of town.

Now there are folks like GeorgiaOwl, NCowl, and Illinois that cant come to home games frequently if at all. That may be worth it and perhaps that is the market they are going for.

HOWEVER I do smell an opportunity for cross sales here.

They want season tickets above all else right? So tie this in with Season Tickets sales pitch.

"If you purchase season tickets for FAU Football or Basketball, you recieve a free annual pass to Online Content. Thats a $69.95 value for free!"

I would elimnate that offer from the Family zone and other Endzone options due to cost, but this could be useful.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

being out of market i would definitely pay for it.

i'm so booked up this fall with weddings and bachelor parties the only game i'm free to go to this year is the last game of the season. i really hope it matters this year.
Back to the top

No chance they'll throw anything in for free, but they could use your idea and giveaway discount. Or if you donate a certain amount of money you get it free. I also think the FAUNAA should piggyback off that idea and give people discounts if they join the owl club. For example, join the owl club and save 20% off an annual pass.

I've paid to watch the online feeds for away games before and some of the feeds are horrible. If they can manage to make the video quality better it's worth it.

Do other schools do this too that aren't in our conference, any of the BCS schools do this?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

If it includes LIVE video of all games I will do it due to distance as you said.
Back to the top
Control functions: