Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Let's Use Our Imagination

Add topic

For a second. If you had a butt load of cash (millions, billions, what ever you want) and you could use it for updating and/or adding new facilties to FAU, what would you do?
GO!
Back to the top

Re: Let's Use Our Imagination

ummmm if I had an unlimited amount of money I'd upgrade everything
Back to the top

Top 3 in order for me…

1.) New Baseball/Softball complexs -Historically our best programs, they deserve love.
2.) 10K Basketball arena- Yes we wont fill it, but if we ever move up we will need that size.
3.) Renovate/Rebuild Tom Oxley center- Was great 11 years ago, now needs some love and expansion.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

1. Update and modernize the baseball and softball stadium. I'd add suites above the press box and add seating above both dugouts, and down the left field foul line, until the foul pole. I'd keep the bern between first base and right field foul pole.
2. Replace the old Engineering bldg with a new dorm (7 floors)
3. Replace Algonquin with a new dorm, with a parking garage for residential students on either the bottom or one of the sides (only 4 floors of living space)
4. Update and modernize the Student Union, includding the cafe
5. Buy the land for fraternity owned housing, just North of the track, and have the 3-way stop where West University turns into North Univeristy into a 4-way stop, and connect this new road simply called "Fraternity Row" to FAU Blvd, just North of the Stadium.
6. Replace the Burrow with a parking garage.
7. Sorority housing/townhomes right on the parking lots and grassy areas next to the Burrow.
8. Add the new basketball arena , just Northeast of the football stadium's pressbox/suties.
9. Add the retail and a parking garage between North Univeristy Dr to the new Burrow
10. Buy back PBSC, and move the College of Education there
11. Make the old COE bldg a part of the buisniess complex
12. Build a hotel just South of the R&D park, on FAU Blvd
13. Build a College of Denistry, College of Vetinary Medicine/Zoology, and College of Ocean Engineering all just North of the Stadium, on FAU Blvd.
14. Update the Wimbley, and make the parking lot South of the lib into a park.
15. Add a parking garage by the new Engineering Bldg

I'm very needy….
Back to the top

Well, new Basketball Arena and MUCH improved Baseball/Softball stadiums would use up a hundred mil. Then upgrade the Soccer stadium and build a good tennis facility so they can play on campus, thats another 10-20 mil. And living up here in Georgia and having seen the facility up here for student recreaton/swimming and volleyball up here at UGA (one word - WOW!).  That project would probably use up the balance.

Now that does not put anything into football directly, but I beleive the other sports have been shortchanged in our LONG quest to build the football program and stadium. And that is npw reflecting on the field/courts in all sports as we are at or near the bottom of the Belt in most. And being able to recruit in S. Florida does not just apply to football, we are not getting the quality Fordida athletes to come here in most sports obviously.

The facilites I would add would bring the FAU CAMPUS into the types that the BIG Conferences would like to see and build the spirit of the campus year round by helping to make ALL sports more competitive and THAT will also help foootball.

With those features done, Athletics could focus on upgrading the Ox BIG TIME. And the school all other on campus additions like more housing and the parking garages that are talked about to help handle the traffic that will be coming to all of these on-campus events. For all the UCF people like to make fun of FAU as a commuter school, we have 2 parking garages, they have 9!
Back to the top

Let's Use Our Imagination

owlfamily said

Top 3 in order for me…

1.) New Baseball/Softball complexes -Historically our best programs, they deserve love.
2.) 10K Basketball arena- Yes we wont fill it, but if we ever move up we will need that size.
3.) Renovate/Rebuild Tom Oxley center- Was great 11 years ago, now needs some love and expansion.

I agree the Baseball and Softball complexes need major attention, but they are still not #1 in line.  The basketball arena is priority #1.  The building of a new arena will help our profile more for moving up than the baseball stadium.  As for 10k seats?  Totally unnecessary.  UM's arena is 8k seats.  Did you know that Cameron Indoor Stadium is only 9,314 seats (10k with standing room only)?  I think a perfect size for us would be between 6,000 to 7,500 (if were lucky, it will eventually become an incredibly hard seat to get).  As for the Ox?  That place needs some love and tender care.  The outside walls could use some pressure cleaning and that would make a world of difference.  FAU is like a kid who doesn't take care of it's toys.  Just a little maintenance here and there could make a huge difference.  Here's my priority list:

1)  New Basketball Arena
2)  General maintenance of the Ox
3)  New Baseball stadium
4)  Major renovation of the Ox
5)  A practice bubble for the football team.
6)  Stadium seating with press box for the track.  UCF has a really nice track complex.
Back to the top

This is funny I had almost the very same thought in my mind for the past couple months. For me if I had that kind of cash laying round this is what I would give to the University. Three hundred million dollars to the Athletic department with a request to use the money for these following points.

1.) Pay off the naming rights for the stadium. (Like UF's Ben Hill Griffin Stadium)
2.) around 30 million for the baseball and softball teams to upgrade their facilities. (15 for each program to start with)
3.) money for a new basketball arena ( with possible expansion up to 10,000) This will help the University a possiblity of landing a regional spot for the NCAA Tourney.
4.) remainder for the athletic department to use in any future develops  such as indoor swimming facility, indoor practice facility for the football team etc renovations to the Ox etc.

That is what I would do.
Back to the top

Hmm endless amounts of money.

Well since my mom is a teacher I would donate money on the condition that professors get a raise. They are vastly underpaid.

I would also donate money to athletics and ask that coaches (assistants included) get a raise. You can't be competive if coaches never get paid. Obviously I can't pay them directly but athletics could.

I'd give a bunch of money to The Owls Nest. Without them where would we be able to talk FAU and even have a convo like this, learn about recruiting, etc?… you get the point.

Anyway, I agree with whoever said buy back PBSC. Sorry, but you gotta go. Use that land for Greek housing and maybe build more dorms if there is a need.

Baseball/softball DEFINITELY need an upgrade before football or anything else. How a division I university doesn't have bathrooms in a sports facility is beyond me. Anyway, that whole area needs to be redone. Baseball, basketball, softball the old fitness center. All that needs to be eventually demolished.

Obviously newer arenas/stadiums would have to be built before those are demolished.
Plus, a new baseball stadium on campus also means hosting a regional and possibly attracting a MLB team for spring training which equates to $$$$$.

As for football I think maybe some new uni's and new equip. Perhaps an upgrade to the weight room.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I would donate 1 million for the baseball stadium.
I would renovate the tennis courts and add an office there with a lounge area.
I would make some renovations for the soccer stadium.
I would donate 3 pretty cool buses for all teams with FAU logos and graphics.
and I would go back to school for an MBA at FAU. Did you know the MBA at FAU went from 25K to 34K in less than 2 years?
Back to the top

Even though I'm not a fan of either sport I would donate a couple mill each to the baseball and basketball stadium funds, I know that they are bad, and I agree that they (especially baseball) have earned better facilities.

Second, I'd donate another 10-15 mill  to the football program, with the stipulation that I get to approve what it is used for. I'm not a player so I don't have any great ideas right now, but I think I can determine what is money well spent and what is a waste.

Third - Donate 1 mill to FAU for Sports marketing, or atleast fund a program at the business school so that our students would be the ones doing the work, that might be a better idea.

Fourth - I would donate as much as I could to the biology department, specifically the marine bio programs.  While I think I recieved a decent education, it could have been better, and I have a few ideas on what would have been beneficial to me when I was in school.  I would also buy another submarine for Harbor Branch, but they have to let me drive it!

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: