Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Record Python Caught in Everglades

Add topic

These suckers are destroying the environment and are a major threat.  If you own a burmese python, please do not release them into the wild when you no longer want it.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article1245648.ece
Back to the top

Re: Record Python Caught in Everglades

SigEp77 said

These suckers are destroying the environment and are a major threat.  If you own a burmese python, please do not release them into the wild when you no longer want it.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article1245648.ece

+1

Back to the top

SigEp77 said

If you own a burmese python, please do not release them into the wild when you no longer want it.

Alternatively, you could…what, if you didn't want to keep it? Humane society? Do they take snakes? Zoos?

I don't have one, I'm just curious.
Back to the top

I hate snakes. I'm a little girl when it comes to snakes.
Back to the top

Maybe you could eat them like they are doing with the lionfish!!

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/aug/02/could-lionfish-florida-waters-end-seafood-restaura/
Back to the top

Gives the new meaning to tube steak!!

Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

SigEp77 said

If you own a burmese python, please do not release them into the wild when you no longer want it.

Alternatively, you could…what, if you didn't want to keep it? Humane society? Do they take snakes? Zoos?

I don't have one, I'm just curious.

I imagine the zoo would take it.  Unfortunately they need to be destroyed.
Back to the top

I'm guessing the Zoo or an exotic collector.

Like SigEp said, they need to be killed. They don't belong down here and they're eating all of the wildlife in the everglades.

I'm sure they'll eventually find another python that's even bigger than this one.

Even he agrees, they shouldn't be in Florida! lol

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

You can probably take them to the humane society or call up a zoo or animal rehab center.  The FWC (Fish and Wildlife Commission) also has "amnesty" days where you can just drop off whatever exotic pet you no longer want with no questions asked.

I think the only effective strategy that may have worked early on would have been to have an open season for licensed hunters to reduce the population.  But even that probably never would have put a dent in the population.  They have the perfect storm of environmental factors that will allow them to colonize the area quickly,  high reproductive rate, no predators, and amazing camoflauge.  In the field you could be standing 3 feet from a 15' python and never know it.  Unfotunately like the lionfish I think the pythons are here to stay.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Record Python Caught in Everglades

or put it down sidney greens pants.
Back to the top
Control functions: