Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Speaking of tickets...

How do you guys think students will react to the new rule of having to print out a ticket AND show an Owl Card to get into the game? I understand for the home opener they had more students than seats, so they're probably looking to mitigate that problem. Moreover, this is how it's done at most big time schools.

So it makes sense - but how will it go?

Even if they bombard students with mass emails, the students probably won't read them. Hopefully Athletics will put up lawn signs near the dorms to remind people before the game too; otherwise a large contingent of students are going to show up without their printed tickets.

There is also an opportunity here for the Alumni Center to serve as the "Student Ticket printing center" so students don't have to walk all the way back to the library to print up tickets they forgot… if the Alumni Center was so inclined.
Back to the top

Re: Speaking of tickets...

Well I'm a married student, so we bought season tickets for my family, but as for the others, maybe your right, they will put up reminders and such for them.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

How do you guys think students will react to the new rule of having to print out a ticket AND show an Owl Card to get into the game? I understand for the home opener they had more students than seats, so they're probably looking to mitigate that problem. Moreover, this is how it's done at most big time schools.

So it makes sense - but how will it go?

Even if they bombard students with mass emails, the students probably won't read them. Hopefully Athletics will put up lawn signs near the dorms to remind people before the game too; otherwise a large contingent of students are going to show up without their printed tickets.

There is also an opportunity here for the Alumni Center to serve as the "Student Ticket printing center" so students don't have to walk all the way back to the library to print up tickets they forgot… if the Alumni Center was so inclined.

Not a bad idea, both for convenience and to get the current students aware of the Alumni Center and that they soon will be FAU Alums!

Another thought; since last year they did not even open all ticket windows, designate one of those for student tickets. Seems simple enough to me!
Back to the top

Opening the alumni center to print tickets for students is a GREAT idea! You know there will be plenty of students who say oh I didn't know. If they have to walk back to their dorm or if they have to drive home to print them out, 90% chance they're not coming back.

If this is how it's done at most major schools I don't have an issue with it. Another option would be to tell the RA's to hang up a note in their dorms saying the same thing. This way students living on campus can't say they were never told

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I don't think this is a good idea. FAU is trying to encourage more alumni to go to the Alumni Center to hang out pre-game.  Food, music $10 bottomless beer mug etc.

Turning it into a giant ticket booth was not the intended purpose of the Alumni Center.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Sounds like a money making venture set up a printing kiosk and charge the students to print their tickets.
Back to the top

Speaking of tickets...

There are 2 problems with gamedays for students. First, the location and rules of the Rat's Mouth. Second, how long it would take to get our OwlCard scanned and enter the stadium. The Rat's Mouth has been taken cared of, and tailgating will be more enjoyable (I hope that the FAU Police won't babysit this time). But this new rule will only add to the time that it takes for the students to enter the stadium in a timely fashion. FAU will do a poor job of telling students about this new process, causing another near riot like the WKU game last season, forcing all the students back to the dorms or Wemberly to print their tickets out.  The tickets will have a bar code, which means FAU will be scanning our tickets, which will lead to malfunctions (Which happens at every sporting event since they've started scanning OwlCards in 2010). I'll ask SGA to see if they're going to proactively advertise this new ticket method to the students, so we can avoid another WKU game.
Back to the top

HootinHollerin said

There are 2 problems with gamedays for students. First, the location and rules of the Rat's Mouth. Second, how long it would take to get our OwlCard scanned and enter the stadium. The Rat's Mouth has been taken cared of, and tailgating will be more enjoyable (I hope that the FAU Police won't babysit this time). But this new rule will only add to the time that it takes for the students to enter the stadium in a timely fashion. FAU will do a poor job of telling students about this new process, causing another near riot like the WKU game last season, forcing all the students back to the dorms or Wemberly to print their tickets out.  The tickets will have a bar code, which means FAU will be scanning our tickets, which will lead to malfunctions (Which happens at every sporting event since they've started scanning OwlCards in 2010). I'll ask SGA to see if they're going to proactively advertise this new ticket method to the students, so we can avoid another WKU game.

Are students allowed to tailgate with alcohol in the Ratsmouth?

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Another thought; since last year they did not even open all ticket windows, designate one of those for student tickets. Seems simple enough to me!

You're right, it is simple, but I don't think they'd ever do this.
  1. The lines for general tickets were really long as it was so if any new windows open up (and they should) then they need to go to paying customers.
  2. The reason they want to have students print tickets up beforehand is to precisely control that only 7,000 student tickets (the size of the student section) are given out. Students without tickets won't go through the student gate, meaning the crowd should be more manageable. If students just show up with their Owl cards and you have four people (let's say) scanning cards to let them in, they may admit more students than seats in the student section, so they sit in "paid" seats elsewhere. Personally, I don't see this as a problem as long as no one else is sitting there anyway and I'd rather have students sitting somewhere in the stadium than nowhere in the stadium. They did pay for it, after all.

Jab979 said

If this is how it's done at most major schools I don't have an issue with it.

At the big time schools, the students pay less for athletic fees - so there's not as much a feeling of entitlement - but then they enter a lottery to win the privilege of buying tickets. So of course they have to show up with the tickets (to separate those who won the ticket lottery from those who didn't) and student IDs (so they're not sneaking their dads and stuff into the student section… even though my UF buddies snuck people in all the time)

HootinHollerin said

There are 2 problems with gamedays for students. First, the location and rules of the Rat's Mouth.

?? The new location is awesome.

HootinHollerin said

I'll ask SGA to see if they're going to proactively advertise this new ticket method to the students, so we can avoid another WKU game.

Smart thinking.

NJOWL said

Are students allowed to tailgate with alcohol in the Ratsmouth?

21 and over "officially."
Back to the top

Maybe I missed it somewhere but exactly what is the purpose of the requiring students to have both a ticket and an owl card?  Nevermind, I think I just answered my own question, its to prevent more students than seats.  I guess that is the way they do it at other schools, but why not just have the students print out a ticket, and not need the owlcard?

I also see a small percentage of the students getting to the game for the kickoff, while the rest will continue to tailgate till the last minute, then make their way in at their leisure.  I still say 4 hours is not enough time.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: