Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

If you could pick 4 wins this season what would they be....

Lets say we win 4 games this season (I think that would be an ok first season under Pelini, not GREAT, but not embarrassing after last season), who would you want to beat?  I would want to beat these following for the 4 wins:

• [li]Wagner - not enough winning last season in our new stadium.  It's time to start a tradition of winning at home.[/li]
    [li]North Texas - need to give them a proper exit from the Sun Belt; Remind them how dominating we were in our series with them.[/li]
    [li]FIU - same as what I said about North Texas.  Also, might be a long time before we can play them again.[/li]
    [li]Troy - we just haven't beaten them that often.  Only once that I can remember.  They have a down year last year and we just happen to be in the middle of our worse season ever and we can't take advantage! [/li]

What do you think?
Back to the top

Re: If you could pick 4 wins this season what would they be....

You pretty much nailed 'em. Of course I'd like to beat UGA or Bama, but if we were beat one of them, we'll most likely win more than 4 games
Back to the top

Add in Navy, that would be our biggest win EVER!
Back to the top

I think we're all with you on those four. I'd like to see a W going in and a W going out for the sake of attendance.

I'm sure the FIU fans think they have the Shula Bowl in the bag; after all, it's the same way we thought when we had Rusty and they were trying to win a game… any game.

But even when FIU was down and out, they still went tit for tat with us. It wasn't easy. Historically, we've seen that both teams get riled up for that game, even if the fans already think the outcome was decided before the first snap.

So obviously I think the Shula Bowl will be a tight match (and ESPNU must have thought so too)
Back to the top

Great thread!!

1. Wagner - week one, a lower division opponent, home game = must win.
  2. MTSU - winning this game starts us off at 2-0 and brings some momentum back to Boca following tough road games against UGA and Alabama. This should keep fans interested in attending the 2nd home game of the season.
  3. Navy - It will get attention on ESPN and would be the biggest win of the season in a rebuilding year.
  4. FIU - the rivalry is all that is necessary to explain this one. I will add that a good performance against FIU should ensure decent interest in the final home game against ULL.

I think for this year the goal needs to be develop and maintain interest throughout the season. Key road wins should result in increased attendance at home. Of course, the opposite could be said that home wins help to maintain interest. However, if we limp into the 2nd home game at 1-3, we will have trouble with attendance in game 5.

I am not suggesting that attendance is the only important thing this season, but there is definitely a need to build interest in the program as we move forward.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

My four wins would be:
1. Wagner, it be a good measuring stick on how our team has handled the changes.
2. FIU, one last win against our rivials.
3. MTSU, it be a tough game, but it would be a great way for us to make a statement to the rest of the belt, we are on our way back.
4. Western Kentucky: Get back at them for beating us last year at our home opener.

Those are my picks.
Back to the top

FIU
Troy
WKU
ASU
Back to the top

Rick said

FIU
Troy
WKU
ASU

Wow! I am surprised that Wagner is not in there. Losing to a 1-AA (FCS) team would be really bad for this program. Especially to start off the season.

I really thought that would be a given for everyone.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

If you could pick 4 wins this season what would they be....

Losing to Wagner would be a tough act to swallow, but it is the first game of the year, and the first game under the new regime, with a new system and a new philosophy.

Better leveraging down the line if you can knock off the above four, who are the top dogs this year by popular consensus (ULL is a fluke, IMO).

Not that it would mean anything since we would still be home for the holidays…….

Regardless, thinking about the future here! Which is better for the long term, beating a "given opponent", or knocking of someone in doubt?

Would rather we start flat and finish 4-4 in the league.

3-5 is not a good as 4-4 for the big picture when the season ends, IMO.

;D

Back to the top

But Rick, would you be able to handle all of the "WE SUCK" and "CLEAN HOUSE" posts that would follow  falling to a mediocre FCS team?
Back to the top
Control functions: