Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Post Wagner thoughts

A few thoughts now that I had time to sleep on what I witnessed:

1.  It was UGLY, but it was a win…and an ugly win over Wagner is better than any loss to Wagner.

2.  Wilbert was impressive.  Not sure how he didn't beat out Curtis for the job initially, but he earned it last night.  In the 2nd half, you saw how this offense is supposed to look.  It was quick, and they made some big plays.  If not for the fumbles at the goal line and the missed FG, Wilbert leads this team to 24 points in the 2nd half and we are all feeling a lot better about things today.  You can't throw those things out, but they are correctable.

3.  For the most part, the defense was really good.  I know it was only Wagner, but they did their jobs and it was something to build on.

4.  Never overreact to 1 game.  In 2003, FAU lost to D-II Valdosta State in their home opener.  They then went on make the I-AA playoffs and finished 4th in the Nation.  This team isn't that good, but it's not almost shutout by Wagner bad either.  Weird things can happen in any 1 game, especially in the first game of a new regime.  They got the first one out of the way, hopfully it gets easier from here and there is only one direction to go from here.

5.  MTSU is very beatable.  They have trouble stopping the run.  If we can hold on to the ball, we have a shot.

6.  Good job by the students tonight.  Excellent turnout for a bad, oddly scheduled game.  Hopefully the crowd is even bigger for NT one month from now.  Chun promised that they would ramp up marketing efforts for that game, so we'll get to see what this new regime can do to move tickets.  A better performance against MTSU next week would help.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Re: Post Wagner thoughts

The one huge positive I took from last night was the discipline. Only 2 penalties, 1 of which was a marginal personal foul. I guarantee that's never happened before. In addition, did anyone notice the players immediately giving the ball to the refs after the play? No unnecessary celebrations and trash talking. I love the discipline, it's a great foundation to build a successful program. 
Back to the top

cbboarder said

The one huge positive I took from last night was the discipline. Only 2 penalties, 1 of which was a marginal personal foul. I guarantee that's never happened before. In addition, did anyone notice the players immediately giving the ball to the refs after the play? No unnecessary celebrations and trash talking. I love the discipline, it's a great foundation to build a successful program.

Very good points, even the ESPN announcers thought the personal foul penalty was "marginal" as the played was still up and inbounds.

And not acting like punks WAS good!
Back to the top

another good point to last night...........I thought the new unis looked pretty sweet!
Back to the top

Sadly this "Win" wont count for Bowl eligbility. (Not that I think we will get there)

A FCS team must carry 57 Schollys to count for Bowl wins, and Wagner only has 40.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Like I mentioned in the post of the replica jersey that surfaced…

Hate the new uniform, they are so half ass!

I like the dark blue on dark blue and I like the simplicity.
But that wing graphic on the sleeve doesn't fit, it is just like clip-art placed there because there was space. Same for the 2 stripes on either side of the pant, what the hell is that? It's was not thought out and completely half ass.

By no means I want anything like oregon or maryland, but whoever designed those things should be fired!

As for the game, thank god for wilbert! But special teams has always plagued us and will again this year. And fumbling the ball is not acceptable. We did get yards, hope Wilbert keeps it up for MT. Just want to see some improvement and progress… and for the love of god, get MGIII his major… (and the Carter approval would help too)

Terrible scary game, a win is not a win… but non the less…. GO OWLS!!!!
Back to the top

I really liked the uniforms. I think red would look better, but a definate upgrade. 
Back to the top

• what happened with the spread offense and the super offensive coordinator from Montana?
• We all thought Curtis knew how to run, but he sucks!
• I criticized the uniforms, but the actually looked pretty cool in real life.
• The intro video of the team was pretty cool, few cheesy scenes but cool concept overall
• The attendance was good in my opinion. I think it was over 14K
• Why this team keeps running the ball through the middle. Don't they have more options?
• The team looked really slow. I did not see that high tempo offense.1

I don't see this team having a good season. I only hope I am wrong.
Back to the top

Post Wagner thoughts

NξTE said

• what happened with the spread offense and the super offensive coordinator from Montana?
• We all thought Curtis knew how to run, but he sucks!
• I criticized the uniforms, but the actually looked pretty cool in real life.
• The intro video of the team was pretty cool, few cheesy scenes but cool concept overall
• The attendance was good in my opinion. I think it was over 14K
• Why this team keeps running the ball through the middle. Don't they have more options?
• The team looked really slow. I did not see that high tempo offense.1

I don't see this team having a good season. I only hope I am wrong.

To those two points, we basically beat Wagner with one hand behind our back, we will see a more diverse selection of plays next week
Back to the top

We need MG3!!!3 fumbles on the goal line could have turned into another 21 points.Lets get Duron eligible and MG3 able to play so we can draw fans and win games.

Boca Raton Home of your friendly neighborhood FAU.
Back to the top
Control functions: