Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sentinel Moves to Premium Content; Even on Blogs

Add topic

Sentinel Moves to Premium Content; Even on Blogs

Well, guess it was a matter of time, but The Big S has taken the step forward to premium online content - even on Blogs:

Sure this is bound to have an effect on readership, but also understand that the industry has changed drastically over the last 10 years.

Will be interesting to see how this revenue strategy pans out over time.

Those already subscribing to the paper version will continue to receive free online content as long as they create an account.

Back to the top

Re: Sentinel Moves to Premium Content; Even on Blogs

There are ways to get around it like select print preview in the browser and you should be able to see the article.
Back to the top

Clear your cookies and you should be fine.
Back to the top

Not looking to skirt the system…no profit in that, as the Man upstairs keeps a watchful eye over both the heart and the mind - intention wise.

BUT:

That's not going too last long…trust me.

They will begin to censor by IP and disable the other features as well.

Just do us a favor here at The Nest and click the banners when you see something you like…we won't be charging, but do have expenses!

Our sponsors would certainly appreciate it as well.

;)

Back to the top

Well, they have lost me as a reader, so their advertisers should be pleased with this move, as they lose readers, their ad rates should go down!
Back to the top

sucks, but as long as you can read the articles rather quickly, you still get most of the info.

As much as I want owl info I am not paying for a sun-sentinel subscription, maybe if I was local I would for local news and the owls, but not that I am out of town… sure the rest of the relocated owls feel the same!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Well, they have lost me as a reader, so their advertisers should be pleased with this move, as they lose readers, their ad rates should go down!

Same here, I just deleted them from my favorites when that popped up.  With all of the news options available on the web for the Sun-Sentinel to think they can charge any money, let alone what they are asking is completely ridiculous.  The only online content worth paying for in my opinion is the WSJ.  Everything else can be found elsewhere for free.

I do try to click on the banner ads of my favorite websites when interested to help out. ;)

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Have to do what they can to survive. When the PBP goes this route, they can expect 0% support from FAU fans. They've done nothing but drag us through the dirt for years.

It's not just newspapers feeling the sting either; I've been getting a couple magazines every month (Maxim, Truckin', Outside, typical guy stuff) that I didn't order and the most recent batch came with inserts saying, "Warning! This will be your last issue unless you subscribe!" It's not even a lot of money, it's something like $20 for the whole year. Still, I don't want or need it. In fact, I couldn't even give them away. Weirdest thing.
Back to the top
Control functions: