Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Post MTSU Thoughts

The loss to MTSU was disappointing to say the least. Here are some reflections after two games.

Offense:

Wilbert is efficient. He has completed 77% of his passes for 3 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.

Through 2 games FAU does not have a 100 yard rusher. The ground game really needs to be established. It is hard to do so when your top back is 165 pounds and has a tendency to set the ball loose.

Wilbert the second leading rusher for FAU. That is not a good sign given how many people have commented on his poor rushing ability and lack of athleticism when carrying the ball.

The O-line needs to do a better job of opening up holes for the RBs. The ground game starts with the front 5.

The WRs need to continue to work on hanging on to the ball. This has improved from the past couple years, but still too many drops overall.

Defense:

Poor tackling and not enough physical play to stop the run. This has something to do with personnel and not having a big/physical defensive line.

The speed on defense is good, but getting to the ball fast doesn't mean much if you miss the tackle.

The scary news: Georgia might run for 400 yards on us. Even scarier is that Alabama might run for 500 yards on us.

Special Teams:

As in years past, the return game is abysmal. Lots of work here.

Coaching:

Not enough confidence in the players to open up the playbook. Timid play-calling and strategy. There is a real need to "coach 'em up" and make the most out of the talent that is on the field.

The coaches have done a very good job instilling discipline on this team and making the players buy into the program. The only thing more embarrassing than playing poorly and losing is playing poorly and losing while committing stupid penalties and really just giving up. This team has shown discipline and fight. I like that.

Overall:

Graham Wilbert is the star of this team. He should be congratulated for his play thus far.

Both coaching and play need to improve if this team wants to get another win before next September.

The talent is not going to change this year so the execution and coaching need to improve. Remember, talent is not everything. Boise State was shocking the BCS world with less than stellar talent and teams like Army, Navy, and Air Force are often competitive despite giving up size and athleticism to most opponents. That said, FAU should be able to compete with SBC teams even with less than ideal talent on the roster.

The next few weeks are going to tell us a lot about whether or not this team will fold like a cheap hooker who just got punched in the gut by a guy with sores on his face, or whether the Owls will keep fighting. My vote is for the latter.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: Post MTSU Thoughts

Was at the game last night, uhh hard to find many positives.

Offensively with the personell we have and what they are able succeed at which is letting Wilbert wing it around I wish our coaching staff would just go more with a mike leach air raid play calling strategy with a few runs mixed in here and there. It's the only thing that works for us with the players we have so why not just go all out with it. We just don't have the players or size to be pounding inside so much other than to keep the D somewhat honest.

Defense. Wow we just looked pathetically small up front and slow and lost everywhere else. Just seems like our D waits then reacts 3 yds into every play, may be by design I dunno. Just wish we attacked more.

Honestly the game last night should have been much worse than it was with their turnovers deep in our territory they were killing themselves. Our D really couldn't stop anything they did.
Back to the top

It just sicking to hear all off season how we worked on getting tougher and getting more physical then we tackle like a bunch of women. Tackling might be the most simple thing in football if your team cant be good at anything you at least be good at tackling.
Back to the top

Post MTSU Thoughts

owlcountry40 said

It just sicking to hear all off season how we worked on getting tougher and getting more physical then we tackle like a bunch of women. Tackling might be the most simple thing in football if your team cant be good at anything you at least be good at tackling.

They'll get a lot of practice tackling in the next 2 games that's for sure.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

We are finally agreeing.  I was confident our D would at least play aggresive under Pelini.  We have a talented and experienced secondary…blitz for crying out loud.  Our D Line is small…we lost a lot from last year in that area.  I thought Pelini could make due with the talent we have by teaching technique and aggresiveness.  Nope.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I agree with you guys as well, during the past few months all we heard about was how we were going to be an "in your face, physical" defense, bumping guys and likely getting penalties for it.  I've seen nothing like that at this point.  Wilbert has now shown us he does have a good arm, lets use it!

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

NO TEAM can stop the run with only five (5) guys in the box - not even Bama!

MTSU speads the field and we go to the 4-2-5  and one of the LB's has to split out to help in pass coverage apparantly? Our spread O formations are still VERY tight, with two (2) and sometimes even three (3) in the backfield with the QB leaving the D to come in and stuff us. With this formation we HAVE TO PLAY Jackson and get him outside quickly to break some runs and/or throw the ball deeper to get the D to back off the line. Now both Wagner and MTSU played two deep with the safeties and the other 9 still tight to our O.

Two more "scrimmages" to develop the O and determine who is gonna play in our remaining 7 game Belt season plus Navy (whose D sucks so far!). Can we still win 5 of 8? Yes, but only if we CHALLANGE the opposition on BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL!
Back to the top

North Texas will be a huge Litmus Test game.  If we get smoked by them, it's not looking good.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top
Control functions: