Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

John McCormack Receives Four Year Contract Extension

Add topic

Bout time!

Here is FAU's Release:

Florida Atlantic University Head Baseball Coach John McCormack has been rewarded for leading the program to two Sun Belt Conference (SBC) regular-season championships and a NCAA regional appearance with a four-year contract extension. The contact begins with the current 2012-13 athletic year.

“Coach McCormack espouses all the values we look for in our head coaches,” said Pat Chun, FAU’s Director of Athletics. “He is a great teacher and mentor. Above all else, he is a good person.” Chun continued, “John is the best baseball coach in our league and one of the best in the nation. We are fortunate to have him serve our student-athletes and our great university. We are proud of what the baseball team has accomplished under John’s leadership and feel this commitment goes a long way to ensuring our future success.”

McCormack has won 131 games in his four seasons as the Owls’ head coach, and has a 69-47 mark in SBC games – the top winning percentage (.595) of any program during that coaching span.

“Extending my contract is a validation that we are representing FAU at a high level, both in the classroom and on the field,” said McCormack. “I would like to thank President Saunders, Pat Chun (Athletics Director) and Melissa Dawson (Senior Associate Athletic Director) for the commitment they made to my family and I.”

The 2012 FAU team captured the league’s regular-season title, with a 19-8 league record, and opened the season by sweeping the University of Alabama of the Southeastern Conference. The first triumph in the series gave McCormack his 100th coaching victory.

In 2011, McCormack guided FAU to its first season series victory over the University of Miami since 1984. Then, the 2010 team captured the SBC regular-season title and advanced to the championship game of the NCAA Division I Gainesville regional.
Before becoming head coach in 2009, McCormack served as an assistant on the Florida Atlantic coaching staff since 1991, spending 11 seasons as associate head coach. The baseball program has had 14-consecutive winning seasons and produced 89 players that have played professionally during McCormack’s tenure on the coaching staff, including two who are currently playing in the major leagues.

“FAU is a special place. I am blessed to be a part of such a dynamic university,” said McCormack. “I would like to thank my assistant coaches and players, past and present. Our successes would not have been possible without their hard work and dedication.”
Back to the top

Re: John McCormack Receives Four Year Contract Extension

John McCormack Receives Four Year Contract Extension

This should have been done years ago. But I'm just glad he got what he deserved, a long contract. Congrats Coach Mac and keep up the great work. Easily FAU's best program that gets very little support from the school ,student body, or local area.
Back to the top

Re: John McCormack Receives Four Year Contract Extension

Local said

This should have been done years ago. But I'm just glad he got what he deserved, a long contract. Congrats Coach Mac and keep up the great work. Easily FAU's best program that gets very little support from the school ,student body, or local area.

+1000

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: