Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Which FAU Student Union design do you like better?

Add topic

JACKPOT!

Here are two design concepts for a new FAU Student Union.

The

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

first one, done back in 2004, enlarges the current Student Union. It demolishes the Gonq, extends the Breezeway south and west, adds meeting space on top of the outdoor stage area, a 2 story bookstore and a cool new mall with skylight.

However, this 2004 design includes a number of things that we did elsewhere (Rec Center, the Breezeway Cafe renovation, etc) and, since the newer design below has rendered views from the stadium, they're probably not going this way anymore.

The

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

second one (see attached picture, don't know the year but it must be 2010+) basically builds a huge new 4-5 story SU where the Administration building is currently located. It has all the usual things (ballroom, retail, dining, etc) with a really interesting curved pathway that could lead up to the stadium (see slide 40).

Attachment
1372 views (662 Kb)
Back to the top

Re: Which FAU Student Union design do you like better?

Which FAU Student Union design do you like better?

So where does Administration go with option 2? It is more central on campus with all of the IV housing in place and in the future.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

So where does Administration go with option 2? It is more central on campus with all of the IV housing in place and in the future.

Had the same thought. I assume to the old Union or to another building that would have to be built in conjunction with this… but moving to the old Union is about $30-50M less, so probably that. It would also put administration right next to Student Services and allow the current Palm Tran routes to bring students right to the new Student Union.

EDIT: Slide 45 suggest they just move Administration over to the SO building, which is half-cleared out anyway…
Back to the top

#2 FOR DAYS!!!
Back to the top

What's especially interesting is the idea that a Palm Tran would have to drive through the pillars of the swish feature coming out of the building!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I believe if you look to the left of the new student union you see a building that sits to the west of the SO building. I think this is the new Admin Building.
Back to the top

I didn't see any new building to the left of the #2 option. And all of those buildings to the left currently hold classes and offices for the colleges.
I believe the admin will move to the UC.
I'm all for this as it will move all of the smellyness arounf the ping pong/video game area out of the current UC, and far far away from the CBK Auditorium, where the public have to see that sad scene.
Back to the top

HootinHollerin said

I didn't see any new building to the left of the #2 option. And all of those buildings to the left currently hold classes and offices for the colleges.
I believe the admin will move to the UC.
I'm all for this as it will move all of the smellyness arounf the ping pong/video game area out of the current UC, and far far away from the CBK Auditorium, where the public have to see that sad scene.

It's the only other building that has definition between cafeteria / GCS to the west and the SO building to the east. It's basically sitting in the free speech area if you know where that is.
Back to the top

If you can, go to slide 45 and tell me where it is in reference to the South edge of the Breezeway, becasue I still can't see it.
Back to the top

Boozie's right. If you look at slide 45 on the "Option 2" presentation, you'll see green arrows pointing at the SO building with a footer saying "Administration." Pretty obvious implication there: they'd move the people out and bring Administration in.

Some other notes:

- If you look at the picture I posted, you'll see the SO building, the nursing building and a large rectangular structure with a paved path right to the Student Union. This implies a new parking garage would be built east of the nursing building there in a space that is already a parking lot anyway.

- Granted, the various rooms for the different floors are basic options, but it's curious that it notes a "food court" in this building since we'd already have the perfectly fine Breezeway Cafe about a two minute walk away, IV garage restaurants to the north and the new cafe at the new dorm. That seems like an abundance of food places. It would make more sense to change that food court to a new 2-3 story bookstore (we're going to need one eventually).

- Not sure we'd need another auditorium… Barry Kaye's pretty nice…

- Students could really benefit from: a legit 24-hour CVS on campus (with pharmacy), a large student health center, more 24-hour study rooms/computer labs, large space for student media (they're cramped into little rooms now, it's embarrassing), a gaming room/area, the "entertainment" could be a bowling alley, dedicated space for LGBT and Cultural (Haitian, Indian, Asian, etc) organizations, a bike shop, a Chili's Too (they have it at several universities), etc

I think those are our present/future needs, but I'd also like to see FAU think outside the box a little bit.
Back to the top
Control functions: