Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The New Deal

Thought I'd do this one here since it's a quickie…

FYI, next week the Boca Raton City Council will consider adopting new regulations amending the Campus Development Agreement and Interlocal Agreement on Stadium Operations.

The original agreement restricted the number of events that FAU could have in their new stadium to 15 total events: 6 football (1 on weekday), 8 Friday special events (for things like hosting high school football) and 1 special event.

It wasn't a great deal.

Now that FAU and Boca have both settled into the idea of having a stadium on campus, the university would like to up their allowed events to 26 total events: 6 FAU football games (1 weekday), 19 other events and 1 special event. There would also be no limits on ticketed events less than 5,000 and non-ticketed events.

Furthermore, FAU agrees to pay for shuttle service between the Yamato Tri-Rail station and campus at a cost of about $170K per year through 2016. The two shuttles would have 22 stops and run Mon-Fri 6:45 am - 9:00 pm.

A better deal.

Still, FAU is going to have to work a little harder to convince people to hold their events there: besides lacrosse and an Easter church service, the high school games have had the rug pulled out from underneath them and the one and only concert was cancelled. That's what, four events beyond football?

The largest open air facility in Boca Raton deserves better.
Back to the top

Re: The New Deal

+1 OwlDoc. I think the old agreement sucked, but FAU needs to do a better job promoting the stadium and what can be held there. My question does that run through the athletic department, campus ops, the presidents office? That is where FAU has been lacking, in the promoting the facility.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

My question does that run through the athletic department

Pretty sure Athletics handles the bookings. When the high school playoff game got scrapped, Angelos got the blame for it. Imagine someone else would've felt the heat if it was their department.

It would behoove us to create a dedicated, centralized FAU Event Booking department that would work on bringing high profile events to campus, from the Barry Kaye to the Burrow to the stadium. Not just for entertainment purposes - a university is supposed to be a cultural epicenter in the city.

UFC fights, concerts, conferences, festivals… there are a lot of opportunities out there. The people who book the Barry Kaye now must be 95 years old because they have no idea what students want in there.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

USMCOWL said

Pretty sure Athletics handles the bookings. When the high school playoff game got scrapped, Angelos got the blame for it. Imagine someone else would've felt the heat if it was their department.

It would behoove us to create a dedicated, centralized FAU Event Booking department that would work on bringing high profile events to campus, from the Barry Kaye to the Burrow to the stadium. Not just for entertainment purposes - a university is supposed to be a cultural epicenter in the city.

UFC fights, concerts, conferences, festivals… there are a lot of opportunities out there. The people who book the Barry Kaye now must be 95 years old because they have no idea what students want in there.
The stadium could draw 40 thousand easily for UFC fight. Prehaps AD Chun will make that part of the overall marketing strategy.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Owl2Doc said

USMCOWL said

The stadium could draw 40 thousand easily for UFC fight. Prehaps AD Chun will make that part of the overall marketing strategy.

To be honest, I do not care for UFC. However, I know a lot of students who would LOVE that. It would also draw a crowd that would not normally come to the stadium. This would be a great idea.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

I had to double check that comment about the UFC drawing 40k and HOLY SH!T, they drew 55k recently at an even in Canada!!! That's insane
Back to the top

I think Concerts is the way to go.  OAR is playing Pompano Beach next week…why aren't they playing at FAU?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

I think Concerts is the way to go.  OAR is playing Pompano Beach next week…why aren't they playing at FAU?

That all depends… Who is OAR?

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

walty12 said

Of a Revolution
Back to the top

The New Deal

Rick said

NJOWL said

walty12 said

Of a Revolution

Just as I thought… never heard of them.

Not the band we need at the stadium. We need a band everyone can relate to, or will at least sell out.

Relate to: T-swift, One Republic

Sell out: Lil Wayne, Jay Z, Blink 182

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top
Control functions: