Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt Conference Energized at 2012 Fall Meetings

As the Sun Belt Conference 2012 Fall Meetings concluded on Wednesday, the attitude amongst the league members is that the conference is in the strongest position that it has ever been and that it is growing even stronger.

The most primary topic of conversation at the meetings was the rebranding effort that the Sun Belt Conference is embarking on with the help of SME Branding.  Previously the conference announced that a partnership with SME and this meeting marked the beginning of the process that will identify the value of the Sun Belt brand.

“There is more excitement today about the Sun Belt Conference than there has ever been,” said Sun Belt Conference President and Troy University Chancellor Jack Hawkins, Jr.  “Our teams are winning and becoming household names.  As we continue to win and identify our value as a brand we will show the world who we are and the strength that we have.”

Hawkins’ comments come amidst the best season the Sun Belt Conference has had in football.  The conference has already broken its all-time win total against non-conference opponents with six games remaining.  Additionally, three teams from the Sun Belt are currently receiving votes in the USA Today Coaches' Poll and the league holds a 6-2 record over Conference USA.

“We are striving to become the best of the non-automatic qualifying BCS conferences,” continued Hawkins.  “New leadership present throughout the league, along with our new member institutions and the attitude that every dimension of the Sun Belt Conference is open to examination is going to make us stronger.”

Sun Belt Conference Commissioner Karl Benson added, “As the conference moves forward we are using a progressive attitude and are taking the philosophy that all of the conference’s strengths and weaknesses must be analyzed.  As we continue to examine our brand and who were are, it will also open the door to examine how we are handling significant Sun Belt events and partnerships.  This means that we will take a hard look at issues like the site for our Basketball Championships and our current and future bowl partnerships.  We must make sure that our teams are playing in the right place, at the right time and against the right opponent.”

The Sun Belt Conference’s annual Fall Meeting includes the senior staff of the conference office along with each member school’s Chief Executive Officer, Faculty Athletic Representative, Director of Athletics and Senior Woman Administrator.  Representatives from future members Texas State, Georgia State and UT Arlington were present at the meetings.

Source: Sun Belt Media Relations
Back to the top

Re: Sun Belt Conference Energized at 2012 Fall Meetings

Karl Benson is still around? I thought we got a new guy
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Karl Benson is still around? I thought we got a new guy

He is the new guy.  The old guy was Wright Waters.
Back to the top

He's a very personable guy…met him at the last home game.

Super nice.
Back to the top

ah got it, thanks!
Back to the top

Sun Belt Conference Energized at 2012 Fall Meetings

TeamBeer said

ah got it, thanks!

If you didn't get it, call me and I'll explain it to you.  Wake up man.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

You're right, I need to get better at following my league commissioners with terrible names around the country. Wright Waters and Karl (with a K) Benson sound like two guys from Arkansas, I got them mixed up.

speaking of, can you believe the promotion they gave to the assistant director of the Colonial Athletic Conference? What were they thinking right????
Back to the top

speaking of which. Apprantley according to the daily hoot on fausports page, AD Chun will be talking at half time. I dont know if it will be on ESPN 760, or CSS. I'm assuming CSS because that is who is broadcasting the game this saturday.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

speaking of which. Apprantley according to the daily hoot on fausports page, AD Chun will be talking at half time.

Hopefully he'll start giving us some specifics on what we're going to do moving forward… he's been on the job long enough now.
Back to the top
Control functions: