Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Thoughts on this?

Add topic

College Tuition Should Vary By Degree, Florida State Task Force Says

"Students in fields such as psychology, political science, anthropology, and performing arts could pay more because they have fewer job prospects in the state."
Back to the top

Re: Thoughts on this?

I agree to an extent but not for the reason they are citing…the level of knowledge you obtain "should" empower your salary level.

The above degrees are not traditionally your bread winners.

And despite what people rank "toughness" on there is a point to be made that while one degree nets you 100K per year working your own hours eventually, and the other keeps you at 45K working off grants or taxpayers, that the one with the better ending should cost more.

IMO, law, medicine, and highly specialized technological degrees should be the most expensive.

(I know that is not what you wanted to hear Doc)

;D
Back to the top

Off the top of my head — where to start?

First of all, the head of the task force, Dale Brill, has a background as tourism director and now is an employee of the FL Chamber of Commerce, or some arm of it.  Now, I don't know him and he is probably a great guy.  However, I don't see the credentials and experience needed to guide a group that is looking to determine policies that will impact the university system for years.

If you want to kill off the non-stem programs, then just start charging more for them.  Especially in these economic times.  If you want to force freshman into fields that they don't have an interest in but can't quite swing it financially for the field that they really want, then charge less.  Parental pressures and plain financial pressures will fill the slots.  Big problem though–the retention rate is going to drop, dropouts will increase, grades will be hit so hard that they may not have the option to transfer out even if they wanted to.

There are a number of things taking place now that were initiated by people (legislators) and task forces that had neither the background, knowledge, or experience to enable them to develop proper solutions.  They don't think it through, they don't try to determine the various outcomes that may not be desirable, and they don't have the curiosity or concern to try to educate themselves on the situation.  If it sounds like a good quick fix, then let's do it.

If you want more STEM graduates, then fund it.  Replace the funding that has been ripped away over the past decade.  Give stipends to the STEM majors.  You have to pay for it.  I don't see how charging them less tuition is going to work.  You are looking for more seats, but getting less revenue for the science programs.

Oh, wait.  Let's pay for it by charging the music / education/ political science majors more for their degrees, because they are just "fun" degrees.  Where are these people coming from?  I can speak first hand on a music degree,(well, second hand).  I have seen the workload of a first class music curriculum and I can assure you that it is a killer.  The only person who would do that is someone that is totally motivated and passionate about it.

Details:  how do you apply this variable tuition?  By the declared major?  By the courses taken in any one semester?  This will be a budgeting nightmare.  Students change majors at the drop of  hat.  Boy, the games that will go on with this!! When is the optimal time to change majors after I have my core subjects covered while being a STEM major?

Scott is just following up on his first year why en he went on the attack on anthropology degrees.  It seems his daughter got her degree in that and then couldn't get a job.  Shortly thereafter all universities were charged with program/course justification exercises. This was followed up by publishing the salaries of the higher paid faculty and administrators in an attempt to demonize them.  This is all public record anyway and is totally accessible, anyway.  He just needed to publicize it to get the anger up over the outliers.  Then he cuts the retirement contributions. And on and on and on.

Sorry.  I'm really just tired of the way this; state approaches education.  We haven't had a decent adult since Bob Graham.  In reality, I don't see the variable rates by major going anywhere  There are just too many obstacle to overcome.  Maybe by institution, but not by program.
Back to the top

Adopting an uncharacteristically Obama-ian stance there, eh Rick?  ;D "Those who make more should pay a little bit more?"
Back to the top

More.  The real give away on their lack of depth of knowledge is how they keep Psychology out of the realm of science.  They have no idea of what is in a psych curricula.  If they had any bit of clue about the brain research that is going on right here at FAU in the Psych department, they would be begging for forgiveness.  But that might ruin the quick fix sound bite.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Adopting an uncharacteristically Obama-ian stance there, eh Rick?  ;D "Those who make more should pay a little bit more?"

:D

No sir!

This is simply a measure in how much it costs to employ majors, and how much the student stands to make afterwards, if successful.

AND how an institution should manage their offering on the salad bar accordingly.

Meat costs more to put out for consumption, and the eater is better off bodily having consumed it over iceberg lettuce at the same rate.

Once a students pays up and succeeds in the workplace based on their hard work and expenses to get there, they should not have to support babies mamma's and those "disabled" through free cell phone underwriting and other non earned handouts.

Not to get "political" and ruffle anyone's feathers…….

;D

Back to the top

Thoughts on this?

So class seperation would begin with the major you can "afford". And I guess if you are from an economicallly disadvantaged family or situation you then can't study medicine or law or engineering or architecture or……

REAL BAD IDEA!
Back to the top

Only if scholarships would cease to exist.

Which is not going to happen and is not a part of this equation; as this is about those who are charged.

Those who are charged are the ones institutions don't want to give a free ride to since they did not rise to the top in their previous opportunities when compared to others given the same opportunity.

Those that performed in a "special way" special should be rewarded accordingly.

There is no perfect solution…but there are fair ground rules for everyone, IMO.

Bottom line, if you have to pay for your education, then you should pay based on its costs to the host institution and income potential. I would be willing to bet that these two are reciprocal in nature.

Then you should be able to reap the benefits of your hard work afterwards without being forced to hand it over to someone who did not.

Charity is the Church's job, IMO.

Especially given the accountability factor built in to prevent poor distribution since Church is traditionally both membership and relationship driven - not blind, "form filled", distribution.

Governmental programs do not offer that .

We don't know anything about you, but show up, meet the requirements (on paper), submit the form, and here you go.

No thanks. Not the way to go.
Back to the top
Control functions: