Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Faculty slam FAU president in survey

Add topic

Via Scott Travis @ the Sun Sentinel…

Mary Jane Saunders received a warm welcome from faculty when she arrived at Florida Atlantic University in 2010, but the honeymoon appears to be over.

Faculty members panned her performance in a recently released United Faculty of Florida survey. Nearly half of those who responded – 46 percent – rated her performance as below average or poor, while 28 percent said she's above average or excellent.

Last year, 23 percent gave her unfavorable marks; 39 percent rated her favorablely. That year, she had given faculty members a 3 percent pay increase.

Back to the top

Re: Faculty slam FAU president in survey

They are obviously upset about budget cuts that are out of her control.  They want to fire somebody…there is a Governor up for re-election.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

The faculty is always mad…doesn't matter who the President is.  They should be happy they have jobs in this economy and keep quiet.  Anyone who doesn't have a job would love to be in the position they are in.  And if I read the article correctly, only 16% of faculty completed the survey.  Let me send a message to disgruntled faculty (who by the way didn't like Cantonese or Brogan, now they have one of their own and they still don't like her) a LOT of people haven't had any raises in the last 3 or 4 years.
Back to the top

Millions have taken reductions. I know how hard it is to keep a company afloat and keep employees . FAU is no different.
Back to the top

If you really think that the major issues boil down to a lack of pay raises, then you really aren't paying attention and you didn't read the survey results.
Back to the top

From my perspective as a student, I think MJ is just fine as prez. I agree with Walty that the faculty vote, which was taken right after the state cutbacks had been announced, is related to what Gov. Scott did rather than anything MJ did.
When I wrote the check for the fall tuition with that 15 percent hike, I was cursing Scott, not MJ, since it was the governor who took $300 million from the state universities so that I am now paying more and getting less.

Back to the top

"About 16 percent of faculty responded to the survey, which was administered last spring in the midst of budget cuts. The university had just announced reductions in summer school classes, and recommended the closing of several branch campuses."

It's a really great cross section of the faculty when less than 20% respond. Ha
Back to the top

Tim said

They should be happy they have jobs in this economy and keep quiet.

:D

+1!
Back to the top

I think a lot of that gets back to who responds to the surveys.  When I look at the results of any survey I generally try to think what I would have done had I been given those questions.  Nine times out of Ten I throw it out and don't bother because I have better things to do, and I think most people probably feel that way.  With 16% reporting it is not an accurate representation of the faculty and is pretty much useless other than for headlines. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Brogen seemed more of a politician and from what I've heard about MJ is she is an administrator. If Brogan was soft and MJ came in tougher, I can see where some complaints might come from. You can go from tough to soft but not the other way. I personally prefer someone with a little toughness.

It's hard to know what's going on so far away but I do remember some things going on in Brogens early years. Something about the SG prez doing stuff and the whole SG out of control. Hard to remember.

I've seen it in business a lot. People really have a problem with the paradigm shift from soft to strict.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: