Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Two wins wont cure apathy this season.

I love Coach P's enthusiasm and optimism here, but two wins this season wont bring fans to the stadium. We may draw a few hundred more fans, but lets be realistic. We have to start winning more constintley, and have a better marketing strategy coming from the Oxley Center. The FIU game is in the middle of the high school playoffs, and UL-Lafayette wont be a exciting draw even if it is for five hundred season. As far as marketing from the Oxley, they have enough highlights from the season to produce a commerical for TV which I haven't seen since before the season. Overall we will get around the same amount for the final two home games this season and my opinion on the marketing. Yet that is just my opinion, but I would love to know what you guys think.

Carl Pelini hopes winning cures apathy among Florida Atlantic fan base | FAU Focus blog: Florida Atlantic University Owls sports | The Palm Beach Post
Back to the top

Re: Two wins wont cure apathy this season.

USMCOWL said

would love to know what you guys think.

I predicted 3-4 wins this season and still feel that figure would be shot in the arm.

However, agree that two will not…

Students are more fickle than the older folks, who showed up last weekend. That was the notable difference, IMO.

Unfortunately, seeing the squad lose in Boca time after time has them resorting to referencing the paradigm of losing over love of program - which we hashed out pretty good last week with fauowls44.

If we can pull out our final two games at home, believe it would do wonders for momentum heading into next season. Not to mention help with recruiting.
Back to the top

Rick said

USMCOWL said

would love to know what you guys think.

I predicted 3-4 wins this season and still feel that figure would be shot in the arm.

However, agree that two will not…

Students are more fickle than the older folks, who showed up last weekend. That was the notable difference, IMO.

Unfortunately, seeing the squad lose in Boca time after time has them resorting to referencing the paradigm of losing over love of program - which we hashed out pretty good last week with fauowls44.

If we can pull out our final two games at home, believe it would do wonders for momentum heading into next season. Not to mention help with recruiting.
Thanks Rick. Do you agree with me that the marketing coming out for the games is kind of dismal?
Back to the top

Two wins wont cure apathy this season.

USMCOWL said

Thanks Rick. Do you agree with me that the marketing coming out for the games is kind of dismal?

What marketing?

;)
Back to the top

Rick said

USMCOWL said

What marketing?

;)
exactly. lol.
Back to the top

Is it too soon to review what Chun has accomplished? It's probably too soon, right? Because I'm straining to think of things… McCormack's extension? And? The Daily Hoot?

I get that building relationships with donors could take years but I find it funny that Mark at It's Owl Time seems to have raised more money for Athletics than Athletics has.

Even without raising money, I thought we'd see things like FAU ads on Facebook/sites like this (like the FIU ads you see), some sort of capital campaign for new facilities would be announced, or since Pelini says BCS schools are calling to establish a series, we would have announced a new series… something.

Announcements like that could inject enthusiasm into this program too.
Back to the top

I think many of us thought that 4 wins would be respectable this season. We still have a shot. I think the win vs Troy really swung the momentum for this team.

Will this add to increased attendance? Probably not. Unfortunately, it appears to be too little too late for this season.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Is it too soon to review what Chun has accomplished? It's probably too soon, right?

Way too early.
Back to the top

Rick said

Owl2Doc said

Is it too soon to review what Chun has accomplished? It's probably too soon, right?

Way too early.
I agree its too soon for judging AD Chun. But like Coach P he has been taking heat for what seems like a lackluster effort. Somethings I did notice though from the game. With games canceled this weekend in the county a few potential recruits were in the stands taking in the game. AD Chun honored subway during the game, possible naming right potential maybe since there regional office for southeast florida is up the road in delray.
Back to the top

Two wins doesn't tell the whole story and I think CP has done a good job so far.  We have come a long way since Wagner.

When you don't win and the losses continue to mount …. and you find ways to lose games …. breaks don't go your way, etc… everything seems to be magnified 100 fold.  Doing the little things seems to be harder then usual.  Yet the players have persisted and continued to work hard and believe in the system the coaches are trying to instill …. does not happen over night.  There always will be exceptions.

The coaches have done a decent job with the personnel they have and shown that they are willing to make adjustments during the course of the season even thought it may not be the direction or scheme they would like to go with.

The players have continued to show improvements every week which is the biggest positive to look for if you evaluate the season so far.  Sure a few let-downs along the way ( the way we loss to USA), but overall improvements have been made and I believe the players and coaches can continue to build on those little wins.

There where time on Saturday we could have easily stretch the lead by 10-20 points, we are just not there yet.  Its a fine line and good teams find ways to do just that.  Again, we have come a long way since the first game of the season.

As far a getting fans in the stands for the next two games, we are sitting in a much better situation with two game left (at home) than at this point last year. 
Back to the top
Control functions: