Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Hurricane Sandy

Add topic

Just a word the folks up north, the best of luck during this storm. Please stay safe and be careful. These things are definitely no fun at all.

-Go Owls.
Back to the top

Re: Hurricane Sandy

I am by no means in the hell that the people up north are getting, but being in the mountains we are/will get some of the tail-end effects.

The wind has been crazy for the past 24hrs, some people in the area already without power and snow is falling in the higher elevations, not by me yet… but later tonight!

AND COLD!
Back to the top

Hurricane Sandy

Be safe Northern Owls!
Back to the top

Hope everyone has been able to get in touch with family/friends up north as well.

I just spoke to my family and my friends. Thank god everyone is ok and no damage to the houses. At my parents house we had 2 big trees that fell. 1 of them took out a fence in the backyard, and the other one destroyed the deck in the backyard as well. A friend of mine had a tree fall on his wife's car but, those things can be fixed.

Other than that just a lot of downed trees and downed electrical wires. Long Island Power Authority says it may take up to 10 days, if not more, to regain power

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Is this their first hurricane?

I knew states like NC and Virginia sometimes got hurricanes but I hadn't heard of NYC getting one before…
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Is this their first hurricane?

I knew states like NC and Virginia sometimes got hurricanes but I hadn't heard of NYC getting one before…

No, they've actually had a fair amount, but nothing like this. Last year was Irene, 1992 was Bob, I think it was 1985 Hurricane Gloria. But they aren't prepared like we are. It would be like South Florida getting 6" of snow. Personally, I would love it lol but can you imagine the destruction and chaos it would cause?

Back to the top

Back to the top

Oh wow. So basically every year in the last decade. Aye yie yie.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Oh wow. So basically every year in the last decade. Aye yie yie.

Those have been very minimal, just some rain, maybe a little extra wind. Because of the cold water up there, the storms usually don't last.

This has been by far the worst storm the NY Tri-State Area (NY/NJ/CT) has ever seen.

I'll post some pics from my parents house as well as some others I've seen from the news and from friends once I get home from work

Back to the top

I promised some pics, so here ya go:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

This tree was a 10 ft, Pine tree on the side of my parents house. It's been there for at least 35 years which is how long they've lived in that house. This tree fell backwards towards their backyard causing this to happen..

A different view

These next group of pics are from another tree in my parents backyard. Also has been there for as long as they've owned the house.

This tree fell backwards…….

Which caused this to happen:

It up rooted half of the deck and fell backwards and to the right

The lights that are in the tree, used to be high up in the tree so that it would light up the pool at night. The railing that you see on the right side as you go up the stairs, used to be the same thing over here. ….

This is what happened to our basketball hoop which was cemented into the ground. It's been there for about 20 years give or take

Luckily no one was hurt and I'm sure insurance will pay to fix it and hopefully they get their power back on soon

Back to the top
Control functions: