Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

ASU announces $22M football facility

Add topic

Don't think we've talked about this here yet.

"JONESBORO, Ark. – Arkansas State University announced a $22 million football facility project, including a two-level football operations building and 76,000 square-foot indoor practice facility in ASU?Stadium’s north end zone, at an 11 a.m. press conference held Thursday at the current ASU Football Facility."

Story is here.
Back to the top

Re: ASU announces $22M football facility

Terry Mohajir must be liking that!
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Don't think we've talked about this here yet.

"JONESBORO, Ark. – Arkansas State University announced a $22 million football facility project, including a two-level football operations building and 76,000 square-foot indoor practice facility in ASU?Stadium’s north end zone, at an 11 a.m. press conference held Thursday at the current ASU Football Facility."

Story is here.

Thanks for the info doc. Shows what a successful program and proper fundraising can accomplish. It is something we need here especially in the summer when weather can be a issue for practices. I enjoy reading your blog entries.
Back to the top

This is good for them….too bad it looks like just another building…nothing special about it.  I might be biased though being that I graduated in architecture.
Back to the top

ASU announces $22M football facility

FAUDowning said

This is good for them….too bad it looks like just another building…nothing special about it.  I might be biased though being that I graduated in architecture.

Future football recruits arent architect majors and will like it.

As the schools in the Belt add facilities such as these things will continue to change in a good way.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I don't think the OX is a bad athletic center at all. Just add a little more to it like a field house or something and it should be just as good… I heard rumors on campus that a new arena is in the plans for the very near future.. Any substance to that?
Back to the top

Owl_Ranger said

I heard rumors on campus that a new arena is in the plans for the very near future.. Any substance to that?

Well, let's put it this way.

When the Innovation Village project was approved there were many components to it: football stadium, student housing, parking garage with retail and a new arena. Seating estimates have been anywhere from 7,500 to 10,000, depending on who you asked. At one point it was as high as 15,000… not because we "need" it for the crowds we're drawing but because an arena serves as a dual-purpose facility (basketball plus events like concerts, graduations and conferences). Thus you'll see it called a "Convocation Center." There isn't a date set other than "probably in the next 3-5 years."

Do you know more than that?
Back to the top

Man do I feel bad for Tortuga Trail  ;D btw, Owl Doc I read your faudiehard blog. I really like how Boca Raton is really behind making the city more of a college town east of I-95. If we have a winning football program, I think we'll start to see more development geared towards that sooner than expected. Seems like FAU continues to set record highs in terms of admissions into the university every year
Back to the top

Owl_Ranger said

Man do I feel bad for Tortuga Trail  ;D btw, Owl Doc I read your faudiehard blog. I really like how Boca Raton is really behind making the city more of a college town east of I-95. If we have a winning football program, I think we'll start to see more development geared towards that sooner than expected.

Definitely. I mean, the fun part of the blog is projecting what could be. Some of it will come to pass, some of it is outlandish. But I'm not going to apologize for thinking big and neither should FAU.

Obviously development is subject to the same rules of supply and demand as everything else is. Before anybody commits millions of dollars to a project, they want a ton of research to make sure it works, right? I mean, the developers of Addison Park went through a lot to get University Park approved, including hiring consultants to study where the students were.

Everything centers on getting a large enough student population in and around campus to make people think even one college bar could do sufficient business, to say nothing of an entire college nightlife area. To that end, another thing to think about is the size of the graduate population at FAU vs the undergraduate.

Even though you and I and everyone else knows that college freshman play flipcup as much and as hard as a group of 20-somethings, the legal age of 21 means junior or above sales only. So a large population of graduate students helps out with college bars because graduate students, including your TAs and professors, get hammered on a pretty regular basis too.

Our graduate population is 3,153. When I was in grad school at FAU, everyone went to downtown Delray to drink… although they have migrated up to that Irish bar (O'Brians?) over by where Scoop/the Lodge/Boardriders used to be. And that's actually a pretty good college bar on Friday nights. Place was packed and everybody was under 25.

So it shows there is a market for something like that… if you know where to look for it and how to exploit it.

Owl_Ranger said

Seems like FAU continues to set record highs in terms of admissions into the university every year

Yep, and you should expect the overall population to increase by 1,500+ new students every year. As FAUfasho pointed out, Saunders had given instructions to raise the freshmen class numbers. Fortunately we're becoming popular so we're able to retain quality in doing that.

I've seen more people who are seriously debating FAU vs the traditional powers lately. We must be doing something right. The thing that's holding them back is lack of Greek Housing and limited nightlife opportunities.
Back to the top

Yea I hear you on that. I did read someting in the UP last year pertaining to the development of greek housing. They were saying that construction for it can begin as early as 2015 and the "greek row" would be similar to Auburn's (clustered housing). That maybe the most important thing FAU is missing right now. I have been to a few frat parties since I've been here and due to the lack of housing on campus, most greeks reside in houses in surrounding areas. I'm sure most don't mind that but you can't compare that to an actual on campus house. That maybe the key factor that is leaving FAU out of the conversation with schools like UCF for example.
Back to the top
Control functions: