Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Exhibition Game Thread: Lynn vs FAU - 11/05/12 @ 7:00PM

Add topic

What: Lynn (0-0) vs FAU (0-0)

When: Monday, Nov. 5th @ 7:00 PM EST

Where: FAU Arena

TV: None

Live Video: None

Internet Broadcast: Here

Live Stats: Here

Lynn Team Site: Here

Probable Starters:

Lynn

G Kaleb Clyburn
G Brandon Smith
F Jeremy Lampkin
F Slobodan Miljanic
F Herbert Thomas

FAU

G Stefan Moody
G Greg Gantt
G Pablo Bertone
F Jordan McCoy
C Dragan Sekelja

The series:

Last season the Owls took down the Knights with a 64-53 win in an exhibition meeting. The contest was tied at halftime before FAU shot 15-of-31 (48.4%) in the second half to pull away. The Owls were stone cold from 3-point range shooting 1-of-14, while guard Pablo Bertone energized the squad with 6 quick points off of the bench.

Lynn at a Glance:

The Knights will make the short trip across town for their first basketball action of the season. Led by Head Coach Scott McMillin, who is entering his ninth year with the program, the team will be looking to improve on last year’s 13-16 record and seventh place finish in the Sunshine State Conference.

Lynn was selected to finish seventh again in their conference this season and return just two starters from last year’s squad. Both the leading scorer and rebounder were lost to graduation, along with a chunk of core players.

The Knights will rely on two seniors this season for production in forwards Slobodan Miljanic and Jermey Lampkin. Miljanic is a native of Montenegro and transferred from Central Florida. He has range for a big man and often works on the perimeter for 3-point shots. Lampkin will provide the presence underneath the basket, as he returns as the team’s leading rebounder. Sophomore guard Brando Smith will anchor the backcourt for Lynn after being relied on heavily last season as a freshman. The guard has the ability to knock down shots from outside and feed the ball to Miljanic.

FAU at a Glance:

This will be the first real opportunity for Owls fans to see this season’s basketball team on display. Head Coach Mike Jarvis has come out saying that he believes this year’s squad should be able to compete for a Sun Belt Conference championship. That is a bold statement for a team that lost six players in the offseason, including a few starters. However, the pieces are in place to improve on last season’s 11-19 record.

Senior guard Gregg Gantt returns as a team leader and a three-year start. Jarvis feels that this year’s squad should be able to provide Gantt with more offensive support than ever before. That additional production should start underneath the basket with Baylor transfer Dragan Sekelja. The 7’0” center should give the Owls a presence in the lane that they have been lacking since Brett Royster.

Another new comer to watch is point guard Stephen Moody. With Alex Tucker, Ray Taylor and Dennis Mavin no longer with the program, someone will have to step in and run the offense. The 5’10” explosive Moody appears to be that individual. Jarvis has already stated that this season success hinges on the true freshman’s play, so it will be interesting to see how the guard handles his first collegiate action.

“He is going to be the key to our team, even though he is just a freshman,” Jarvis said.

In addition to Sekelja and Moody, five other Owls will be starting their careers in red and blue. Guards Cavon Baker and Jackson Trapp along with forwards DeVonte Thornton, Chris Bryant and Javier Lacunza will all be making their debuts in the Burrow.

The exhibition should provide an opportunity for the freshman to get adjusted to the atmosphere and allow for the coaches to finalize any preparations for the season. With no concrete roles for the team having been set in place, the game will give players an opportunity to showcase their skills and compete for playing time down the road.

Latest Line:

N/A

Owl's Nest Prediction

Florida Atlantic should be using this as a tune up game before the real season starts next Sunday with a trip to #11 North Carolina. Expect Jarvis to show some of what the Owls are capable of in the exhibition, but still get a majority of the roster minutes.

FAU -13
Back to the top

Re: Exhibition Preview: Lynn vs FAU - 11/05/12 @ 7:00PM

Exhibition Game Thread: Lynn vs FAU - 11/05/12 @ 7:00PM

hmmm...Moody at the point should be interesting to watch but a lot to look forward to in this one
Back to the top

Just confirmed that FAU Assist. SID Dale Long will have the play-by-play tonight from The Burrow....Link to listen is up top.
Back to the top

Go Owls!
Back to the top

I say forget this "we are a young team… give us a year or two…" I say dominate now and kick arse!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Yeah but we kinda said that 2 yrs ago after kicking butt in conference and then last year we took a major step back

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I usually do not comment on pre-season hype.  I like to see what we have before commenting.

I will say,  I have a good feeling about this year and of course, next year.  It all depends on the Freshmen.  If they can come up to speed quickly, I believe we are heading in a very good direction.

On a side note, I am really impressed with Moody's awareness…a great skill for the basketball court.

Stefan was at the dinner last Monday, and at the breakfast on Saturday.  I was at both as well.  I was on campus today on business and walking on one side of the street and he was on the other.  He recognized me and immediately started waving.  For an 18-19 year old to be that aware was so impressive to me.

That act had nothing to do with basketball, yet that act has everything to do with basketball…if that makes any sense.  Awareness is a great skill.  I am convinced he has it.

I am excited to see how this all plays out.

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

A little over 25 minutes till tip. Some students are already in the seats and it looked like some tailgating action was taking place out in the parking lot.

Both teams out on the court warming up.

Dragan looks like a man child compared to anyone on Lynn's squad.
Back to the top

In case anyone was wondering, it’s the battle of the two Europeans tonight.

FAU’s Dragan Sekelja of Croatia vs Lynn’s Solbodan Miljanic of Montenegro.
Back to the top

Re: Exhibition Game Thread: Lynn vs FAU - 11/05/12 @ 7:00PM

Tonight's starters:

G- Stefan Moody
G- Greg Gantt
G- Pablo Bertone
F- Jordan McCoy
C- Dragan Sekelja

Interesting to see McCoy snag the start. Kelvin Penn could have easily been in that position.
Back to the top
Control functions: