Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ #11 North Carolina - 11/11/12 @ 2:30 PM

Add topic

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

What: Florida Atlantic (0-0) vs North Carolina (1-0)

When: Sunday, Nov. 11th @ 2:30 PM EST

Where: Dean E. Smith Center

TV: ESPNU, DTV: 208

Live Video: None

Internet Broadcast: Here

Live Stats: Here

Tar Heels Team Site: Here

Probable Starters:

FAU

G Stefan Moody 16.0 ppg
G Greg Gantt 11.0 ppg
G Pablo Bertone 14.0 ppg
F Jordan McCoy 12.0 ppg
C Dragan Sekelja 21.0 ppg

* Exhibition scoring

UNC

G Dexter Strickland 13.0 ppg
G Marcus Paige 6.0 ppg
F Desmond Hubert 0.0 ppg
F James McAdoo 26.0 ppg
F Reggie Bullock 5.0 ppg

The Series

The teams have met just one time, with the Tar Heels reaching past the century mark en route to a 105-52 win back on 12/19/06.

Former FAU sharpshooter DeAndre Rice (2005-07), who holds multiple program records including a staggering 47.9% 3PT mark in his senior year, paced Florida Atlantic with 13 points.

Owls at a Glance

With quite a few new faces on the floor, the Owls tipped off 2012-13 in exhibition action against cross town foe Lynn last Monday night, holding on for an 87-80 win at FAU Arena.

After falling flat in the first period from downtown, the out sized Knights made the second half an even contest, while Florida Atlantic allowed some open shots from the wings.

"They are going to scrap and scrape no matter how small or how big they are", said Head Coach Mike Jarvis. "The main thing on a night like tonight is I think you learn how much more you have to learn, how much better you have to get, and what it going to take to get there. It will end up being a very good teaching tool."

Despite the competition level, its obvious that the offense has improved over last year. As we progress through the schedule, that should hold true for the most part, with more looks to be had under the basket - something missing for the last couple of years. The Owls donned a 4-out 1-in offense that worked to perfection at times.

Six players posted in double figures, with three of those seeing their first minutes in Red, White, and Blue uniforms - Dragan Sekelja 21, Stefan Moody 16, and Cavon Baker 10.

However, Jarvis will be looking at the tape closely to see what can quickly be done to notch things up when the team is without the ball, as UNC present s formidable opponent in all facets of the game - not just from beyond the arc. Multiple adjustments will likely be made, including the addition of another coverage scheme.

"We’re going to score, but our defense is not very good right now", Jarvis commented. "We didn't play zone tonight, but we’re going to have to start playing some."

FAU is still awaiting NCAA clearance on PF Chris Bryant as of Friday afternoon, and Javier Lacunza, who was out with an arm injury on Monday, is not likely for the contest.

Both will enable the implementation of additional looks and sets on offense down the road for the Owls when available. But for now, Jarvis will lean to Sekelja to keep his squad in the game against UNC.

"I’ll be interested to see how Dragan does on Sunday. If he can have a decent game then that will bode well for this team", said Jarvis.

If he does not, there is still some good news in other potential plans of attack. FAU posted a solid showing from three point land (42.9%) against Lynn, which could prove crucial given the ability of North Carolina to defend underneath.

"We’ll be big underdogs – no doubt – on Sunday, but we’re not going for the pay check", Jarvis said. "All I want my guys to do is go there and play as hard as they can. If we do that we will win no matter what the score is."

Tar Heels at a Glance

Sitting at #11 in the current rankings, UNC rolled past A-SUN squad Gardner-Webb 76-59 on Friday night behind power forward James McAdoo's career high 26 points and 14 rebounds. He was, at times, almost a one man show.

"I'd like him to do it without having to take 20 shots", said Coach Roy Williams. "We've got to have the other guys be more active on the backboards and not just him."

With only four returning players from last year's team that graduated five and lost three to the NBA Draft, the Tar Heels are featuring four new starters for 2012-13. And it shewn against the Bulldogs as they had to get past an overall performance that featured 18 turnovers and a 1-of-12 showing from long range.

"We did try to do a lot of things with a lot of different lineups", said UNC Coach Roy Williams. "Four freshmen, first time they were in there, so I think it was good for them".

"Gardner-Webb had an experienced team, and they made us look bad at times", Williams continued. "I am disappointed in how we played, but I'm not disappointed in my team."

They've restocked the cupboards though, with a class highlighted by four players rated with four stars on the Rivals and Scout recruiting networks collectively.

McAdoo is as talented as they come, and was named to the 2012-13 Preseason All-ACC Team by league coaches. He'll have some big shoes to fill though, while being counted on to replace the departures of John Henson (13.7 ppg) and Tyler Zeller (16.8 ppg) from last season.

The Tar Heels have now won 78 of thier last 83 season openers, including an eight in a row mark as of late, and were tabbed third in the 2012-13 ACC Preseason Coaches Poll behind North Carolina State and Duke.

Latest Line:

UNC -22

Owl's Nest Prediction

At 6-9, 230 McAdoo's a load to contain, and could provide defensive fits for FAU if left unchecked. He will get his touches, and what the Owls do when he does will likely determine their destiny. Double downs seem inevitable.

The line is steep, and predicts an 82-60 outcome. But if Owls can assert a respectable zone presence, they may be able to cut into it by 5-7 points.

In the long run however, still see UNC coming away with a double digit win.

UNC -15+
Back to the top

Re: Game Preview: FAU @ #11 North Carolina - 11/11/12 @ 2:30 PM

What is the nature of Lacunza's injury, do you know? Broken? Sprained?
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

What is the nature of Lacunza's injury, do you know? Broken? Sprained?

He's not in the sling anymore, but was limited in practice and would play only in an emergency situation tomorrow.
Back to the top

We are going to have our hands full, if we keep it within 15 I'll be very much impressed. 
Back to the top

Starters:

FAU

G Stefan Moody
G Greg Gantt
G Pablo Bertone
F Jordan McCoy
C Dragan Sekelja

UNC

G Dexter Strickland
G Marcus Paige
F Desmond Hubert
F James McAdoo
F Reggie Bullock
Back to the top

GAME THREAD: FAU @ #11 North Carolina - 11/11/12 @ 2:30 PM

And we're underway!
Back to the top

UNC on the board immediately…

2-0
Back to the top

Bertone sporting the man beard on the Tele!

:D
Back to the top

Moody for THREE!

FAU 6  UNC 7

16:37
Back to the top

Bertone picks up his second personal already, has to sit.
Back to the top
Control functions: