Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Automatic Bid

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8624387/six-bowls-pool-college-football-semifinal-games

There it is………We have the opportunity to get an automatic bid……the opportunity is there we just have to do it!
Back to the top

Re: Automatic Bid

Wow, so over 50 teams are eligible for ONE (1) auto spot ans to top that we now have to compete with the BigEast teams in the lower tier for that one spot. And the highest ranked of these five conference champions gets taken. Does not sound like we have any chance at all (just like now). Even an undefeated Belt team will never get ranked high enough.
Back to the top

Looks like the Big East was downgraded to a mid-major conference now- At least in football.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

BeastOwl said

Looks like the Big East was downgraded to a mid-major conference now- At least in football.

If so, think maybe the ACC should join 'em (us)?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Wow, so over 50 teams are eligible for ONE (1) auto spot ans to top that we now have to compete with the BigEast teams in the lower tier for that one spot. And the highest ranked of these five conference champions gets taken. Does not sound like we have any chance at all (just like now). Even an undefeated Belt team will never get ranked high enough.

Well I think schools are going to have to come up with some competitive non-conference schedules. This in one way or another is eliminating FBS vs. FCS matchups for a lot of programs. Teams won't be able to afford playing William & Mary or Wagner when they need strength of schedule.
Back to the top

Automatic Bid

Andrew, help me out here…
So there are the 2 semi-final games and the championship. How many "major bowls" will there be and who are the tie-ins? Also, what will we call these new major bowls now that the BCS is done? Will the tie-ins for the lesser bowls change?
I have a feeling these are questions that nobody has answers for right now.
Back to the top

It is a little far fetched. In the end it just comes down to winning games. The way money has taken over the big conferences there is no way the little guys get a say but this one step forward at least.
Back to the top

The best way is to find the positive in this new change. At this point there should be no point to push lets get into the Big East or Conference USA because in theory in this new system there is no difference between those conferences and the Sun Belt! Also, potentially this could help us in recruiting against UCF and USF because they won't be able to use the Big East as a pitch anymore compared to another conference. I have no idea if that truly makes a difference, but I'm sure Andrew can help there. Overall I think this is a very good thing for the program!

Also to hootin hollerin from what I read there will be 6 "BCS" tie in bowls where the semi finals will rotate and the championship game will be chosen similar to the Super Bowl. The possible additions to BCS bowl games could be chic-fil-a and cotton bowl. I think most would have to agree not the perfect system, but a step forward in the system that is in place today! 
Back to the top

At least we can say we have a shot each year at a BCS bowl.  Not much of a shot….but more of a shot than before.

The distance between the haves and have nots in college football has become even greater now.

Getting to the point where an intermediate division s/b created between D1 and FCS divisions.

when FAU went to D1, I questioned whether it was better to be a perennial contender at FCS, or a door mat in D1.  Obviously revenue is a factor. But what's the sense if you can't have a shot at the championship game at the end of the season - even if you go undefeated.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

The best way is to find the positive in this new change. At this point there should be no point to push lets get into the Big East or Conference USA because in theory in this new system there is no difference between those conferences and the Sun Belt! Also, potentially this could help us in recruiting against UCF and USF because they won't be able to use the Big East as a pitch anymore compared to another conference. I have no idea if that truly makes a difference, but I'm sure Andrew can help there. Overall I think this is a very good thing for the program!

Also to hootin hollerin from what I read there will be 6 "BCS" tie in bowls where the semi finals will rotate and the championship game will be chosen similar to the Super Bowl. The possible additions to BCS bowl games could be chic-fil-a and cotton bowl. I think most would have to agree not the perfect system, but a step forward in the system that is in place today!

I agree with a lot that is said in here. There is no real difference now between the Sun Belt or Conference USA. FIU's decision to leave the conference now doesn't have as much lust. Yes, the revenue will be higher, but as people on here have pointed out, the Sun Belt will be given the same chance to make a BCS game. Obviously that will play a factor in recruiting.

From what I have read there will be two playoff games that will rotate between six host locations. When one of those bowls isn't catering too a playoff game it will be a "major bowl." The national title game between the two winners of the playoff games in the "plus-one" system will be bided out like the Super Bowl. I have no idea how this will effect smaller bowls, but I can't see much changing.

This is a win for the Fun Belt, but has created a larger gap between the top dogs and the little one's like FAU. However, the difference between mid-tier teams in the Big East and smaller programs has now shrunk.
Back to the top
Control functions: