Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

QB Tyler Ferguson “a lot higher” on FAU

Add topic

JUCO passer has positive official visit to Owls

Tyler Ferguson had never been to Boca Raton, let alone the state of Florida.

However, the College of Sequoias quarterback left with a positive impression after taking an official visit to Florida Atlantic over the weekend.

“I’m definitely a lot higher on FAU than I was before my visit,” Ferguson said Monday night.

The 6-foot-5 210-pound prospect flew across the country to meet the Owls’ coaching staff and see them take on rival Florida International on Friday night.

While the result of the game didn’t go as planned, Ferguson was still able to see enough of what FAU had to offer.

“The coaches are awesome they really gave me a good idea of where the program is headed and I think it definitely gave me an idea of something that I would want to be a part of,” he said.

With current Owls’ starting quarterback Graham Wilbert graduating at the end of this season, the job next year appears to be anyone’s for taking.

Ferguson could very easily factor into the discussions if he chooses to sign with FAU.

Having played football at Ridgeview High School in Bakersfield, California the athlete had scholarship offers from Utah and San Jose State before he broke his collarbone mid-way through his senior year. The injury caused many colleges to shy away and forced him to change his course of action.

“The plan was to come here (College of Sequoias), play a season and then transfer in the spring,” he said.

FAU and Houston have since offered the quarterback while Penn State has show interest.

The Owls were the first to get him visit to campus, and appear to have quickly created a connection.

Wilbert – who is also from California – hosted the recruit over the weekend, and the two have already developed a relationship.

“After the game I was just hanging out in the players’ lounge and he came and talked to me before his interview (with the media) and we have just been texting back and forth. He’s an awesome guy and definitely someone to look up to,” he said.

One thing that sticks out to Ferguson about the Owls is the amount of talent that will be on the offensive side of the ball next season. Almost the entire receiving corps returns along with a staple of running backs.

“Having a majority of the receivers being juniors, sophomores and a couple freshmen plus all the skill players being young guys definitely helps, because that’s how you build a program. You got to start with the young guys playing early and then once they are older they know what to expect,” he said.

Ferguson will visit Penn State on November 30th before traveling to Houston on December 14th.

He plans to make a decision sometime after that and enroll in the spring.
Back to the top

Re: QB Tyler Ferguson “a lot higher” on FAU

Thanks for the update! Hopefully, Penn State is a "courtesy visit" as I'm thinking a cali kid won't get along with the weather. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Texas though I have a biased opinion due to the fact my in-laws live their. ???

He needs football in paradise!
Back to the top

This is going to be a tough one but I think out of the 3 schools listed in their current state FAU is the best option for him.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

This is great news. I'm glad he is forming a great relationship with GW that could be the selling point. It seems as though Coach P is going after a lot of pro style QB's after Wilberts emergance this year. Looking through the recruiting sites 24/7 and rivals its seems as though he is wanting another guy who can come in right away like a (Ferguson) or Waters which btw according to 24/7 we are no longer in the running for who is a pro style QB not a dual threat so to speak. Do you think GW's great season has something to do with that?

I kick cancers ass and that's all there is to it..
Back to the top

RHABDOowl said

This is great news. I'm glad he is forming a great relationship with GW that could be the selling point. It seems as though Coach P is going after a lot of pro style QB's after Wilberts emergance this year. Looking through the recruiting sites 24/7 and rivals its seems as though he is wanting another guy who can come in right away like a (Ferguson) or Waters which btw according to 24/7 we are no longer in the running for who is a pro style QB not a dual threat so to speak. Do you think GW's great season has something to do with that?

Yeah Jake Waters is down to just Penn State and Kansas State.

In terms of more pro-style quarterbacks, Ferguson is still mobile. He played basketball in high school, and can move in the pocket.

I think with the emergence of GW throwing the ball, the coaching staff has realized the offense clicks when someone can make the necessary throws.
Back to the top

QB Tyler Ferguson “a lot higher” on FAU

All we need is somone who can pull that read option everyonce in a while.
Back to the top

Guys, is in not nice to se we are seriously being cosidered and in the competition for QB's along with Penn St., Kansas St. Houston, Utah…. as opposed to "has no other D1 offers"!
Give Coach P and the staff time and they WILL build the program before moving on to higher oppotunities of their own. Remember, they won't get higher offers themselves til they prove themselves by improving FAU first!
Back to the top

*** Ferguson Update 11/27***

Tyler sent me a message today saying that Penn State coaches are meeting with him tomorrow to set up this weekend's official visit to Happy Valley.

No offer yet, but he thinks they are "pretty close to."

FAU is still alive.

When I asked him if the Owls are still in the picture?

He replied "100%."
Back to the top

Did you remind him of how bad the weather is in Happy Valley during the winter months?
Back to the top

cbboarder said

Did you remind him of how bad the weather is in Happy Valley during the winter months?

Well it's suppose to be 39 degrees there this weekend.

Think he will get the message.  ;)

Back to the top
Control functions: