Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

POLL: Stay in the Sun Belt or move to C-USA?

Stay in the Sun Belt or move to C-USA?

Sun Belt
C-USA

You must select between 1 and 114 options

Not to take away from the other thread, but just want to gage where everyone stands on the subject that may not be commenting otherwise.
Back to the top

Re: POLL: Stay in the Sun Belt or move to C-USA?

FunBelt.
Back to the top

SBC Baby.......
Back to the top

POLL: Stay in the Sun Belt or move to C-USA?

Sun belt no question
Back to the top

I don't have enough information to make a decision…Brand wise, C-USA.  On the upswing SunBelt.  As it is right now, none of the "Bigger" conferences (i.e. Big East) are knocking on the Sun Belts door.  So based on that, C-USA seems to be the choice with any hope of going to the Big East.  And I know the college landscape is changing, and the Big East isn't an AQ.  BUT,  From brand recognition and reputation as it stands now 1) Big East, 2) Conference USA, 3) Sun Belt.

Not to say that can't change…if the administration said we are making a commitment to the Sun Belt and we aren't bolting I would be OK with that.  But unless something significant happens in the Belt 1) Pro-Active acquistion of schools (not re-active, i.e. replacing bolting teams); 2)  A football conference championship (we are secondary conference without it)  3) A new better tv contract for all sports (C-USA has their olympic sports televised) 4) and more bowl tie-ins.  I am not ready to say stay with the Belt.

I don't want to be the last person at the dance…cause we all know that means we get to put the chairs away!
Back to the top

Tim said

I don't have enough information to make a decision…Brand wise, C-USA.  On the upswing SunBelt.  As it is right now, none of the "Bigger" conferences (i.e. Big East) are knocking on the Sun Belts door.  So based on that, C-USA seems to be the choice with any hope of going to the Big East.  And I know the college landscape is changing, and the Big East isn't an AQ.  BUT,  From brand recognition and reputation as it stands now 1) Big East, 2) Conference USA, 3) Sun Belt.

Not to say that can't change…if the administration said we are making a commitment to the Sun Belt and we aren't bolting I would be OK with that.  But unless something significant happens in the Belt 1) Pro-Active acquistion of schools (not re-active, i.e. replacing bolting teams); 2)  A football conference championship (we are secondary conference without it)  3) A new better tv contract for all sports (C-USA has their olympic sports televised) 4) and more bowl tie-ins.  I am not ready to say stay with the Belt.

I don't want to be the last person at the dance…cause we all know that means we get to put the chairs away!

Great post and says it all to me.

Third (and by far the best) option to me is still the BigEast. If they are wanting media markets then we offer a very good one. Tulane does too and they are not good either, so why not FAU and the West Palm Beach/Boca/Ft.Lauderdale/Miami markets. If it means we have to commit to improving facilites than so be it and do it. we talk like we want to be a traditional respected U but so far we don't back it up with action and that is why we brought in AD Chun, to do that and take FAU to the next level!
Back to the top

Looks like we're just about even. Are we……………………. A divided fan base?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Tim said

Great post and says it all to me.

Third (and by far the best) option to me is still the BigEast. If they are wanting media markets then we offer a very good one. Tulane does too and they are not good either, so why not FAU and the West Palm Beach/Boca/Ft.Lauderdale/Miami markets. If it means we have to commit to improving facilites than so be it and do it. we talk like we want to be a traditional respected U but so far we don't back it up with action and that is why we brought in AD Chun, to do that and take FAU to the next level!

Or facilities are exactly why we won't get an invite to the Big East. I can see us in C-USA with the facilities we have right now but the athletic department really needs to be proactive here. I think this whole SBC vs. C-USA debate would be settled if we just got an invite to the Big East lol
Back to the top

Tim said

Why do we want the BE so badly? They're part of the "Group of 5" with the SBC! The only thing the BE has is more TV dollars and you can bet that's going to dry up real soon! And is the burden on our student athletes to travel far distances really worth it? Yeah we need cash, but at what cost? Why not strengthen the SBC with geographicaly sound, competitative, and solid academic institutions, and continue to improve our product to the field as an entire conference. The money will follow, it will allow for more rivalries to grow, and it will be fair for our student athletes.
I am against a move DOWN to that glorified FCS conference known as CUSA, and staying here in the SBC. While I would love to play USF and UCF and other schools, I doubt our facilities will allow that to happen. If we got a bid to the BE, I'm not saying we should say no, but like my friend OwlRanger said, if we say yes we need to do it the right way! Great facilities, amazing student support, and alumni/community involvement.
Us students ahve done our job, I think it's time for the school, the alumni, and the community to step up to the plate.
Back to the top

Back to the top
Control functions: