Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Should FAU Keep Jarvis as Coach in C-USA??

Add topic

Should FAU Keep Jarvis as Coach in C-USA?

Yes
No
Let's See How This Season Goes 1st

You must select between 1 and 83 options

We started talking about it in the thread in Football about the move to C-USA
index.php?topic=41548.msg140905#new (9th page)

Every year we hear this is the best team I've ever coached at this school. We have this new Big Man (Kore White, Justin Davis, Dragan..Sammy wasn't his fault, that was all Rex), and he's going to be a force in this conference. Still waiting for that to happen. Or we have this freshman guard and he may be the best player I've ever coached (meaning he's better than Ewing, or anyone on those St. John's teams).

Don't get me wrong, I like Jarvis and I thought it was the right hire, but he's been here since 08. When we're ready to make the jump in 2014 that will be his 6th year as coach and the only thing we have to show for it is a conference title which basically meant nothing. We still have not won a single game in the conference tournament.  Sidney Green took us further and he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.

I get that we have a young team and practically a new team this season, but if we don't make the NCAA tournament within the next 2 seasons, should we look for a new coach?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Should We Hire a New Men's Coach When We Move to CUSA?

NOPE.
Back to the top

Re: Should We Hire a New Men's Coach When We Move to CUSA?

Tim said

NOPE.

Aside from just a nope. What would your arguments be to keep him? What has he done for us that someone else can't?

Back to the top

Re: Should FAU Keep Jarvis as Coach in C-USA??

I would expect an Exit39 drive by at any moment in time on this bad boy…………..

;D
Back to the top

Rick said

I would expect an Exit39 drive by at any moment in time on this bad boy…………..

;D

You mean the Owl Country 40 of BBall lol. Exit Country 40? Owl Exit 39? lol

Back to the top

We hear that this is the best team we have ever had?  Reallistically, how many coaches in America, come out at the beginning of a season and say:  This kid we just recruited isn't any good.  We are not going to be very good this year.  I wish we had better players.

I mean, we have cleaned house of the selfish players.  We have 7 freshmen.  We are very young.  We attracted a Parade all-American recruit.

I am probably biased because I see him and speak to him on a regular basis and know where his heart and head is as it pertains to building this program.

I think he is the best thing that has happened to the Men's Basketball program to date.  He engages the students, alumni, business owners to get involved with the program.  He isn't afraid to get his hands dirty knocking on doors or calling someone to help the program.

Not saying there is no one else who could come in and do the job.  Just saying, for where we have come from and what we have to work with, I think we are very fortunate to have him.

But the wins are not where they need to be so I can see how others would disagree.  No doubt, we need to play better basketball.  I think we will.

Back to the top

Should FAU Keep Jarvis as Coach in C-USA??

Don't forget too everybody, we have a very young team that is out there playing. Let's give them and Coach Jarvis time okay.
Back to the top

I think our record will determine how things play out. I feel like the past two years we've been just 1 or 2 pieces away from being a really good team. The lack of a quality big man has been that main piece. Kore White could have (and should have) been that guy but for some reason he wouldn't stay under the basket and he liked his jumper too much. I still think that we'll be a force in the SBC if Dragan plays better. We have two of the best shooters in the conference and they just need a tiny opening to put up a good shot. Greg seems like he's on pace to have a big year and Moody can flat out score.

For instance, the one time I saw Dragan catch the ball deep in the paint, he got double teamed and made a very nice cross court pass to Gantt who hit a three. He needs to touch the ball every possession. Sorry, got sidetracked there because I'm still ticked from last night,lol.

Back on topic: Weren't Justin Davis and Sammy Rex's recruits?

I really like Jarvis and he seems very invested in growing the program, I just hope he can actually build it. He pushes so hard for new facilities. Do you think recruits are passing on FAU because of our lack of facilities? Similar to what happened with Lockhart?

Jarvis is the guy for the job if he can win because I don't see him going anywhere. He seems very happy to play out the rest of his coaching career in Boca. We don't have to worry about him being scooped up by a "bigger" program like we would if a young coach were to come in.
Back to the top

I never thought we should have extended Jarvis after this past season! The team has underachieved last year, and especially in conference tourney play. Lets be honest that is truly the only thing that matters in college basketball. I would seriously consider bringing back Matt McCall back as the head coach. The level of play has dropped off tremendously when he left to go back to UF. He is a impressive young coach, and you have to love anybody who has been under Billy Donovan!
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

I never thought we should have extended Jarvis after this past season! The team has underachieved last year, and especially in conference tourney play. Lets be honest that is truly the only thing that matters in college basketball. I would seriously consider bringing back Matt McCall back as the head coach. The level of play has dropped off tremendously when he left to go back to UF. He is a impressive young coach, and you have to love anybody who has been under Billy Donovan!

Matt McCall would be awesome.
Back to the top
Control functions: