Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt= "Dumb" Belt

MTSU's snub at a bowl game further emphasizes why getting out of the Sun Belt was a good move. The conference continues to be over looked and I feel like Comissioner Benson is doing nothing about it. With only two bowl tie-ins, ULM and WKU were LUCKY to be invited to bowls this year as the fate of SBC programs continues to stay in the hands of executives that look at what match ups will make the most money. Had MTSU been in C-USA this year they would have had been in a bowl better than any SBC team can dream of. MTSU's coach Stockstill said "This was the hardest thing I ever had to tell my team in 30 years of coaching". I feel for MTSU's fans and community because that could have just as easily happend to us. As the conference continues to serve as an entry point for FCS programs, I doubt the TV revenues or bowl tie-ins will improve anytime soon. Good bye Sun Belt and good riddence
Back to the top

Re: Sun Belt= "Dumb" Belt

I think wku got into a bowl over MTSU because they are staying in the 'Belt.

The bowl they are in is a Sun Belt tie-in (correct me if I am wrong). Therefore, those who spnsor the bowl would want a team who will be staying in the 'Belt over a team laving because they can then build up the reputation of the 'Belt over other conferences.

Had MTSU been selected over wku it would have been the bowl saying "Hey, C-USA is better than the Sun Belt!" They instead chose a team sticking with the 'Belt to further the reputation of the 'Belt.

(I hope this made sense)

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

But aren't WKU and NMSU next in line for C-USA? I'm pretty sure Diets said something about those two programs being next in line when another program or two bolt for another conference. I hope Southern Miss Tulsa and La. Tech do stay though because those are three programs that can be ranked in the top 25 fairly easily
Back to the top

Sun Belt= "Dumb" Belt

Yes, but they will at least be in the 'Belt longer and may even stay because they got into a bowl in the Belt.

This whole thing makes no sense anyway…

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Saw a tweet today that MTSU rushed to get out of the Belt as they were trying to vote on an exit fee of $11mm for current teams.

I wonder if we'll try and get out for 2013 as well.
Back to the top

The bowl selected WKU over Middle Tennessee State. Had nothing to do with the Blue Raiders leaving the conference.
Back to the top

no sources, but on the CUSA board it was mentioned the Troy AD wants us out sooner so they can fill their schedules with some other teams.
Back to the top

NCowl said

no sources, but on the CUSA board it was mentioned the Troy AD wants us out sooner so they can fill their schedules with some other teams.

I hope we can oblige them.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

NCowl said

I saw Pat Chun at the game and spoke to him for a minute I got a sense that he would like to do it too "as soon as possible" . Its really about whether we can afford the million bucks for the early departure fee.

Back to the top

voss749 said

dusky256fc said

NCowl said

I saw Pat Chun at the game and spoke to him for a minute I got a sense that he would like to do it too "as soon as possible" . Its really about whether we can afford the million bucks for the early departure fee.

I've got $5 on it - bad rap group from 90's

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: