Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Does FAU athletics live in a vacuum?

Add topic

I cannot understand the rationale of scheduling a basketball game on a Sunday afternoon during football season!  I have to think with the combination of that and school being out, attendance this afternoon is going to take a BIG hit.  Falls under the category of scheduling the football season opener on a Friday night!  Now they will probably say the opponent wanted to travel on such and such day….well I say we are a Div. 1 program and they are playing a "money" game.  We tell you where and when.

Having said this…I will be there this afternoon with 30 of my closest friends who will blow off NFL games (including the Dolphin game).
Back to the top

Re: Does FAU athletics live in a vauum?

Does FAU athletics live in a vacuum?

Tim said

I cannot understand the rationale of scheduling a basketball game on a Sunday afternoon during football season!  I have to think with the combination of that and school being out, attendance this afternoon is going to take a BIG hit.  Falls under the category of scheduling the football season opener on a Friday night!  Now they will probably say the opponent wanted to travel on such and such day….well I say we are a Div. 1 program and they are playing a "money" game.  We tell you where and when.

Having said this…I will be there this afternoon with 30 of my closest friends who will blow off NFL games (including the Dolphin game).

You can't revolve your college schedule around NFL Sunday's. I know we all want to watch the games and if you're a Dolphins fan the game doesn't start until 4:05 and the FAU game is at 3. You can likely make it home for the end of the 2nd quarter if not, definitely the 2nd half.

Plus, these schedules are made in advance, again can't be worried about the NFL. If our fans/students don't show up to today's BBall game because there's football on, that's pathetic

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

You have to understand that it is not up to athletics all the time for example the Wagner game on the Friday night I was told athletics saved a ton a money flying the
Down here on a Friday as opposed to Sarurday idk why but they did. Somtimes there is way more behind the scenes that we just do not know.
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Tim said

You can't revolve your college schedule around NFL Sunday's. I know we all want to watch the games and if you're a Dolphins fan the game doesn't start until 4:05 and the FAU game is at 3. You can likely make it home for the end of the 2nd quarter if not, definitely the 2nd half.

Plus, these schedules are made in advance, again can't be worried about the NFL. If our fans/students don't show up to today's BBall game because there's football on, that's pathetic

I don't live 5 mins from campus, so I won't be home by the end of the second quarter.  This game could be scheduled 20 years in advance and you will know it is an NFL Sunday.  And if you don't think that scheduling against the NFL won't effect attendance, then you are not being realistic.

The fact of the matter isn't the scheduling of the game against the NFL, but more that we should schedule games to MAXIMIZE attendance.  Every dollar counts and this is a poor economic decision.  To schedule against the opening of high school football season or an NFL game does not make good business sense.  If a team like Wagoner wants Div 1 exposure they have to figure out a way to get here or we shouldn't schedule them (I don't think they should have been scheduled to begin with but that is another topic for another thread).
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

You have to understand that it is not up to athletics all the time for example the Wagner game on the Friday night I was told athletics saved a ton a money

They didn't have a choice with Wagner…it was "take it or leave it" as far as Friday went.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

You have to understand that it is not up to athletics all the time for example the Wagner game on the Friday night I was told athletics saved a ton a money flying the
Down here on a Friday as opposed to Sarurday idk why but they did. Somtimes there is way more behind the scenes that we just do not know.

Not knowing what is going on behind the scenes or just not knowing doesn't stop other people from commenting on or criticizing the athletic department!
Back to the top

Tim said

owlcountry40 said

Not knowing what is going on behind the scenes or just not knowing doesn't stop other people from commenting on or criticizing the athletic department!

Which makes 80% of the things said on this board pointless…isn't it great!!!

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

then freaking leave it. its wagner, just play bethune cookman or lynn again. its not like beating the 450th ranked team in the country did anything for us. not kidding either, they're ranked right around there.
Back to the top

Exit39 said

then freaking leave it. its wagner, just play bethune cookman or lynn again. its not like beating the 450th ranked team in the country did anything for us. not kidding either, they're ranked right around there.

Wagner made it to the quarter finals of the FCS playoffs, there is no way they were ranked 450th in the country……just sayin'

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Tim said

That's usually how it goes with a business.

You get an overcooked chicken sandwich at Wendy's, you complain about it to your friends. You don't care that Wendy's wants to move out old product before they put on new product to minimize losses.

or

You have to wait 45 minutes to see the doctor, so you complain about it to your wife when you get home. You don't care that we've been seeing patients back-to-back-to-back as fast as we can responsibly do it.

etc etc
Back to the top
Control functions: