Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU’s Boca Raton Campus Now on Google Maps

Add topic

Florida Atlantic University’s College of Business recently partnered with the Google Maps team to collect street-level imagery of the entire FAU Boca Raton campus. That campus imagery is now available via the Street View feature in Google Maps.

Partnering with the Google Maps team to capture imagery of FAU’s campus enables millions of people to view it wherever they are in the world. With imagery of FAU available on Google Maps, current and prospective students, alumni and parents can now explore the campus grounds, trails and shortcuts, buildings and residence halls from their computers or mobile devices.

The imagery was collected by mounting the Street View camera system on a three-wheel pedicab called a Trike and riding through campus. The panoramic images can be found by searching for the university on Google Maps, and either zooming in to the lowest level, or dragging the orange "Pegman" icon on the left-hand side of the map onto an area of the campus outlined in blue.

Click Hereto explore the Boca Raton Campus.

Source: FAU College of Business
Back to the top

Re: FAU’s Boca Raton Campus Now on Google Maps

I had already "explored" the campus a week or so ago - very cool! The stadium right there on-campus looks GREAT!

But we still gotta AT LEAST get our own name on the tower for the I-95 drivers to see! Once we get a stadium donor it can be altered or even better - PLAN IT NOW for our name and then add the donor name! I do think our own name should still go on the highest level with our logo though. After all, the "donor" is basically renting billboard space but we OWN the billboard! And we want the world to know THIS IS FAU!
Back to the top

I first discovered they were doing "walking cams" when I was trying to plan for a Disney trip and saw you could "walk around" Disney through GoogleMaps. Very cool feature.

I thought they updated their aerial photos every six months though and the satellite picture right now still shows the stadium (and IVA) under construction…
Back to the top

Very very cool. I just took a short tour. They must have used a higher resolution camera than they use on the road because everything looks shaper. Some really great views of the campus. The views of the stadium are real nice.

I'm using an iPad. I found the quickest way to get around is to put a pin where you want to look at and you can go right to street level at that point. I went to my old dorm, Algonquin. I looked around. Except for the exterior of the building, absolutely nothing else around it looks the same. That old nasty looking bike rack out back of the southern wing (6 south as we used to call it) which is just some fence poles with a long horizontal pole, has got to be 50 years old. It was there when I was there and before that. It was always crammed full of bicycles. Everything surrounding the dorm has changed.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

One thing I like to do when we play someone like Old Dominion, I'll check out their campus on Google Images and Google Maps, especially StreetView.

I've noticed that some campuses get a 3D overlay when you do StreetView at a close enough magnification.

See attached, "Example 1" vs "Example 2" of the University of Oregon.

So what I find weird is that, despite FAU working closely with on GoogleMaps, we don't have the 3D, and in fact the satellite map still shows the stadium being under construction, meaning it's gotta be over a year and a half old.

My understanding is that GoogleMaps satellite imagery is updated about every three years, so there's that. Not sure how FAU gets in on the 3D tilt though.

Attachment
893 views (723 Kb)

Attachment
498 views (1.05 Mb)
Back to the top

FAU’s Boca Raton Campus Now on Google Maps

Owl2Doc said

One thing I like to do when we play someone like Old Dominion, I'll check out their campus on Google Images and Google Maps, especially StreetView.

I've noticed that some campuses get a 3D overlay when you do StreetView at a close enough magnification.

See attached, "Example 1" vs "Example 2" of the University of Oregon.

So what I find weird is that, despite FAU working closely with on GoogleMaps, we don't have the 3D, and in fact the satellite map still shows the stadium being under construction, meaning it's gotta be over a year and a half old.

My understanding is that GoogleMaps satellite imagery is updated about every three years, so there's that. Not sure how FAU gets in on the 3D tilt though.

My cousin goes to ODU, says the campus is pretty dangerous lol…..
Back to the top

We are in the final stages of putting together a VERY detailed virtual tour. It's actually pretty cool, it is a guided tour with stops all over campus. There are also a bunch of 360 degree photos of the best part of campus. I'll post the link when it's complete.
Back to the top

Was messing with google maps and noticed that you can view the stadium from the field with streetview with really good resolution.

Attachment
4298 views (375 Kb)
Back to the top

boozie132 said

Was messing with google maps and noticed that you can view the stadium from the field with streetview with really good resolution.

That is freaking AWESOME!

I have done "street view" many times on Google maps but this new thing actually takes you INTO the stadium and all through it too with INCREDIBLE views - LIKE YOU ARE THERE!  Take a walking tour of the stadium guys!
And I guess all through campus too which I plan to chack out tomorrow and this weekend! Thanks for sharing tis insight, it is really cool!
Back to the top

I was messing around with it and at certain points on North University (in street view) the stadium is still being constructed and then you click a little further down the road and its fully complete. It's a patchwork of data. It's kinda funny.
Back to the top
Control functions: