Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU offers Maryland LB George Vinson

Add topic

Linebacker recognizes Owls because of Schnellenberger; ESPN 30 for 30

It’s not often that Florida Atlantic extends an offer to an out of state prospect, let alone one from the state of Maryland.

Monday night Damascus (Md.) linebacker George Vinson got an unexpected phone call from linebackers coach Jovan Dewitt which was followed up by another the next day.

“Today he called and told me that I had an offer from FAU,” Vension said late Tuesday night.

The news came as a surprise to the prospect, because up and till that point he had little to no contact with the Owls’ coaching staff. The talented linebacker had drawn plenty of interest from northern schools and was at one time committed to Buffalo.

“This all kind of happened in a week so I was surprised, especially with it being a school from Florida. I was definitely surprised and excited,” he said.

Growing up with two parents in the military, Venison has traveled all across the country and been to many different places, but he has never visited the Sunshine State. However that doesn’t mean he isn’t familiar with FAU’s program and history.

“I know about coach Schnellenberger and how he started the whole ‘U’ thing at Miami from the 30 for 30 movie, and I know he helped start FAU’s program,” he said.

Former head coach and program founder Howard Schnellenberger was featured three years ago in the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary “The U.” The film was broadcast nationally on television and showed interviews of Schnellenberger – who was wearing an FAU polo – talking about his years at Miami.

Apparently the footage left an impression on Venison, and when the Owls came calling he was able to make the connection.

The linebacker currently holds offers from Kent State, Towson, Appalachian State, Costal Carolina, Temple, Ohio, and UMass, while Rutgers and Penn State have recently shown interest.

On Tuesday night Appalachian State coaches stopped by his residence for an in-home visit.

Venison had previously pledged to Buffalo over the summer, but decided to back off the commitment in the middle of his senior season.

“I made the decision early and it was kind of an immature decision, and then I took about a month to think about my visit and realized that probably wasn’t the best decision for me,” he said.

The linebacker tallied 93 tackles and five sacks this year for a team that went 10-1 and made the state playoffs.

With the Owls now in the picture, Venison plans to take an official visit sometime in January to check out the campus.  When asked about who sits atop his list of college choices, a new name has surfaced.

“Right now I would say, FAU because this is just real exciting, so they are definitely up at the top. Aside from them probably Appalachian State and Kent State,” he said.

The last player to sign with the Owls out of the Old Line State was tight end James Oboh back in 2008.
Back to the top

Re: FAU offers Maryland LB George Vinson

Lotta linebackers coming in.

Andrew said

The last player to sign with the Owls out of the Old Line State was tight end James Oboh back in 2008.

Oh yeah… whatever happened to Oboh? Wasn't he supposed to be a big deal for us?

Back to the top

Back up north... transferred to Towson long time ago.
Back to the top

Rick said

Back up north… transferred to Towson long time ago.

Gotcha. That explains it.
Back to the top

According to Brandy L. Simms's Twitter, Vinson will decide between FAU, Kent State and Appalachian State on December 21st.

Vinson told me he expects the FAU coaches to visit him this week, and Appalachian State has been putting on the full court press. He will be announcing at the Crab Bowl. If you haven't heard the event, it's pretty cool and storied - and like everything in Maryland, sponsored by Under Armor. Vinson will be playing for the Washington team.
Back to the top

What do they plan on doing with all these linebackers? are they going to convert some of them to DE's and RB's? we already have 3 linebackers committed and I keep seeing all these other guys we've been offering still.
Back to the top

sjacks78 said

What do they plan on doing with all these linebackers? are they going to convert some of them to DE's and RB's? we already have 3 linebackers committed and I keep seeing all these other guys we've been offering still.

I've been thinking the same thing.
Back to the top

sjacks78 said

Well my opinion for next year even with the loss of Hinds our LB crew should be very good with Glanton, Kirk, Johnson and Whitfield emerging. I think Pelini is selling recruits on this being a school that can produce great LB's plus 2 out of the four of those graduate next year so depth will be needed.

I kick cancers ass and that's all there is to it..
Back to the top

FAU offers Maryland LB George Vinson

We only play 2 LB's in most defensive sets  :-\

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

We only play 2 LB's in most defensive sets  :-\

Which is why it is important to have good lbs.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top
Control functions: