Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Big East basketball schools to break away and form their own conference?

Add topic

Could happen according to the story here.

"The Big East's seven, non-FBS schools met with Big East Commissioner Mike Aresco recently to discuss the possibility of leaving the conference to form a hoops-only league with other similar schools:

Sources said the New York meeting was the first among the seven schools (Marquette, DePaul, St. John's, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall and Villanova) and ultimately could lead to them splitting from the Big East's football members."
Back to the top

Re: Big East basketball schools to break away and form their own conference?

That would be another blow to any media deal and then they lose Boise and SD St. if that happens. BE may yet have to merge with CUSA - that I could live with! :)
Back to the top

The presidents of the Big East's seven Catholic, non-Football Bowl Subdivision schools are expected to decide on their future in the Big East in the coming days, and it "would be an upset" if they remained in the league, sources told ESPN.

The seven schools – DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova – are "close to a consensus on what they want to do next," a source said Wednesday.

The presidents of the seven schools are scheduled to conduct a teleconference with Big East commissioner Mike Aresco on Thursday and are expected to issue a statement on their schools' future in the next 24 to 48 hours.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8742607/seven-catholic-schools-leaning-leaving-big-east-sources-say

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Man,

How awesome would it be if we could be in a confrence together with FIU/UCF/USF.

The potential to grow for all three would be astronomical with 4 schools that close.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Big East basketball schools to break away and form their own conference?

owlfamily said

Man,

How awesome would it be if we could be in a confrence together with FIU/UCF/USF.

The potential to grow for all three would be astronomical with 4 schools that close.

Its really how it should be.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

We think it would be awesome.
FIU would think it was awesome if we were NOT in it.
And USF & UCF would probably HATE it!

Plus, I just don't see it happening.
NCAA does NOT = Logic

(The = with the slash trough it "does not equal" does not work on here?)
Back to the top

Oh dont get me wrong.

I dont see it happening, but it would be greats IMHO.

Who knows how this hand grenade will blow things apart.

It's probably time for MWC/CUSA/SBC/MAC/nBENF to sit down at a bar and break everyone up into regional/geographic mixes.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

you mean you are not FOR the Transcontinental Conference with Anchorage, Alaska, Hawaii, Boise State, Umass, FAU, FIU & Sand Diego State?
Back to the top

So the Big East sheds 7 teams…which makes them have 13 football members.  Doesn't look like they need to merge.  Looks like they will be expanding.  They finally are right around the right number of members in my opinion.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to see FIU, UCF and USF all in the same conference, but it won't be happening anytime soon.
Back to the top

NCowl said

you mean you are not FOR the Transcontinental Conference with Anchorage, Alaska, Hawaii, Boise State, Umass, FAU, FIU & Sand Diego State?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Control functions: