Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Name the new Hall

Add topic

Hey guys and girls,

I just received this in an e-mail. "Calling all OWLS! The Department of Housing and Residential Life at FAU needs your help naming our new residence hall.

Housing wants to put you to the challenge and see who can come up with the best name for this new hall. To submit your idea send an email to Beverly Stewart at [email protected] with the subject heading: Name the New Hall Contest. In the body of the email please include your name, Z #, prospective building name, and reason why you chose that name.

This contest is open to everyone: students, faculty, staff, and community members. Deadline for this contest is 1/21/13. The winner chosen will receive a $500 scholarship prize! Good luck!"

I wanted to see if the fans had some ideas also.

I sent the following
Talons Hall  ;D
Tequesta Hall
Airbase Hall

Talons is my favorite but if anyone has ideas, chime in. You never know who could win.
Back to the top

Re: Name the new Hall

I suggested Lakeside Village, Blue Wave Village and Campus Courtyard.

In short:

Lakeside Village because it's the only dorm next to water. I wouldn't be surprised if the winning entry was some form of this, whether Lakeside, Lakefront, etc

Blue Wave Village for multiple reasons that are clear to older fans on this board but more importantly because the student section is named Blue Wave (right? Not Parliament as we thought?), we use a Blue wave in advertising, and Phase II could be the Red Wave Village.

Campus Courtyard because a lot of our underclassmen dorm names like to emphasize adjacent green space (Heritage Park, Glades Park).

I was also a fan of other people's suggestions of "The O" and "Frank Brogan Towers" (Brogan Hall would be more appropriate). I could see "Talon Hall", though we don't have anything on campus named "Hall", which is really more of a 70-80's dorm naming system.

Not sure how I feel about directional ideas like "Southwest" something… Southwest Village? Beh.
Back to the top

Name the new Hall

I like Blue Wave I have an old blue wave baseball jersey in my closet. They could do Talon Towers. But Blue Wave has my vote.
Back to the top

Ideas I sent in:

- The Nest: After all, we are the owls & these will be the freshman dorms. What better way is there to treat your young owls than put them in The Nest?

- Walden: The name comes from the writing of Henry David Thoreou, who wrote of independence & spiritual discovery. Isn't that what one's first year of college should be? Also, a pond was a large part of the book & there is a pond near the new dorm.

- Brogan Hall: For obvious reasons: Frank Brogan, former FAU President.

- Saunders Hall: In honor of MJ Saunders, current President.

Also a cool idea: Combining some of these ideas. For instance, I think Saunders' Nest has a nice ring to it.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

- Walden: The name comes from the writing of Henry David Thoreou, who wrote of independence & spiritual discovery. Isn't that what one's first year of college should be? Also, a pond was a large part of the book & there is a pond near the new dorm.

I like where your head is at here but this would be a tough sell at FAU, unfortunately.
Back to the top
Control functions: