Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU gets surprise $5 million for student union, breezeway

Add topic

Forgot to mention this here on 12/8 when I found out about it. Thought I did. Sorry.

Call it a surprise Christmas gift.

Florida Atlantic University got an extra $5 million in construction money, and three projects are expected to benefit from the extra cash, improvements to the student union and breezeway on the main Boca Raton campus and recreational fields on the Jupiter campus.  The budget was approved at a Board of Trustees meeting Thursday afternoon.

The money, which comes from capital improvement fees that students pay, is allocated by the state Board of Governors, which oversees state universities. The board initially estimated was getting $11.7 million, but revised figures allocate $17.5 million.

Rest of the story here.

I did a blog on possible Breezeway renovations based on concepts they did before - not sure if that's what they're going to do there, but they've talked for years about the lighting (small problem) and the leaking (big problem). There's also the renovation to the top level, which could be anything from seats to plants to lights to overhangs, or all four.

Regarding the Student Union, I mentioned how I talked to a SU employee and they were talking about adding a second level to the Live Oak Pavilion rooms (you know, A-D), possibly another building out back and converting the Grand Palm Room into two separate rooms (with one for meetings and one for gaming) or another use entirely.

And then again there's always the flirtation with extending the Breezeway toward the Student Union, which is a terrible, terrible idea, and maybe a new bookstore… but I honestly think they're just going to make some aesthetic changes and add more rooms/new small building the size of the Live Oak building outside.
Back to the top

Re: FAU gets surprise $5 million for student union, breezeway

instead of making improvements to the student union which was already "improved" not too long ago, how about improving the damn baseball stadium!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

FAU gets surprise $5 million for student union, breezeway

Jab979 said

instead of making improvements to the student union which was already "improved" not too long ago, how about improving the damn baseball stadium!
I agree with Jab979, improve the baseball stadium, but maybe add some non slick additives to the breezeway because a few times I slipped on the walkway a few times after it rained.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I agree with Jab979, improve the baseball stadium, but maybe add some non slick additives to the breezeway because a few times I slipped on the walkway a few times after it rained.

Yeah, don't wear sandals in the Breezeway after it rains unless you want to die.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

USMCOWL said

Yeah, don't wear sandals in the Breezeway after it rains unless you want to die.
Or cheap shoes from Payless whose bottoms have no traction.
Back to the top

Unfortunately, more people are going appreciate upgrades in the Union and Breezeway over baseball stadium improvements. They have to put resources towards places that students are going to appreciate and use more.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

Unfortunately, more people are going appreciate upgrades in the Union and Breezeway over baseball stadium improvements. They have to put resources towards places that students are going to appreciate and use more.

If I recall, the allocated funds from the SUS are not allowed to go towards athletic facilities.
Back to the top

OWLNATION said

FAUfasho said

If I recall, the allocated funds from the SUS are not allowed to go towards athletic facilities.
I think you are right. Plus someone said they are trying to find a coporate or personal sponsorship for the baseball stadium.
Back to the top

Put it all towards the breezeway...the next upgrade to the student union should be a major overhaul
Back to the top

owlmart said

the next upgrade to the student union should be a major overhaul

Agreed 100% there.

Back to the top
Control functions: