Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

JUCO DT Derek Butcher Commits to FAU Football

Add topic

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Lineman likes South Florida weather

One of the biggest issues for Florida Atlantic this past season was depth on the defensive line.

Wednesday night the coaching staff got immediate help along that front when junior college defensive tackle Derek Butcher (photo right) committed to FAU.

“I gave a verbal commitment,” Butcher said. “Yesterday they called me and I guess coach Pelini was out on the road so they were going to wait until he got back.  He called me when he got back and offered and I accepted.”

The 6-foot-5, 290-pound defensive tackles spent the past two seasons playing at North Dakota State College of Science and was in Boca Raton this past weekend for an official visit.

The trip was highlighted by unusual weather for the Minnesota native and a beachfront hotel.

“The weather was great; there wasn’t any snow on the ground – so, that’s a little different. I'm not use to going to the beach in December, so I think I could get use to that,” Butcher said.

Current Owl Brandin Bryant hosted Butcher on the visit, and was able to show the prospect around campus.

Butcher selected FAU over offers from Florida A&M, Southeastern Louisiana, Gardner Webb and a preferred walk-on opportunity at Minnesota. He plans to sign on December 19th – national junior signing day- and enroll in the spring with two years of eligibility remaining.

"I'm a 100% to FAU," he said Thursday afternoon.

His highlights from this season can be viewed here.

Butcher becomes the 18th verbal pledge to the Owls' 2013 recruiting class and second junior college player committed.
Back to the top

Re: JUCO DT Derek Butcher Commits to FAU Football

Nice work on breaking this Andrew!
Back to the top

this is definitely good news! Lets hope he gets to contribute right away like bryant did

]
Back to the top

Best name on the football team. THE BUTCHER!!!!
Back to the top

JUCO DT Derek Butcher Commits to FAU Football

Owl_Ranger2 said

Best name on the football team. THE BUTCHER!!!!

Looks like a nice kid, let's hope he has a MEAN STREAK on the field though to go with that great name! Welcome Derek!
Back to the top

"Florida A&M, Southeastern Louisiana, Gardner Webb and a preferred walk-on opportunity at Minnesota"… :-\

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: