Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Recruiting Notebook 12/14 – JUCO OT Braden Lyons Visiting

Add topic

City College of San Francisco OT Braden Lyons confirmed yesterday that he will be taking an official visit to FAU this weekend.

With the Owls losing three starters along the offensive line and having only two committed to this year’s recruiting class, linemen are a top priority.

Lyons just got done visiting Texas San-Antonio and had previously stopped by Old Dominion. He will now travel to Boca Raton and see the Owls’ campus before making a decision on December 19th.

“It's between UTSA, FAU and Old Dominion,” Lyons said Thursday night.

The 6-foot-5, 290 pound lineman should be a top priority for the coaching staff, as they need individuals to step in and compete for playing time right away.

Lyons’ team finished 10-2 this season and lost in the California Community College Athletics Association championship.

- Hilton Head (S.C.) QB Michael Julian is participating this week in the 76th Annual Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas. The signal caller is faring well, and apparently might start the game for the South Carolina team. On the recruiting trail, Julian is close to being offered by Boston College and  holds a bunch of other offers including one from the Owls. He took an unofficial visit to campus back in November, but it appears FAU may no longer be in the picture.

- Earlier this week it was reported by Chris Nee that Port St. Luice ATH D.J. Juste would be visiting FAU on January 11th. Juste told me that the Owls’ coaching staff is recruiting him as a quarterback, while other schools such as Illinois want him as a wide receiver. This should turn into an interesting battle for FAU, but the good news is that the prospect has yet to set up an official visit to Champagne.  If Juste wants to throw passes at the next level, the in-state school should offer his best option. His highlights can be seen here.

- 2014 Sandalwood WR Desean Blair – who was on hand to watch FAU play Louisiana-Lafayette earlier this month – was offered by Temple this week. Blair is 6-foot-4, 175 pounds and has a nice frame to build upon. The Owls haven’t offered to date, but he could fit in nicely at one of the outside receiver positions in the new spread offense. His highlights can be seen here.

- Two Owls' commitments will be playing for a state title on Friday and you can watch both live on television. DB Lester Thomas and Godby square off with Immokalee for the 5A championship at 1 p.m. and OL Austin Bland’s St. Thomas Aquinas squad will face Lincoln at 7 p.m for the 7A final. Check local listings, but both games should be available on CSS, Bright House Sports Networks or ESPN3.com.
Back to the top

Re: FAU Recruiting Notebook 12/14 – JUCO OT Braden Lyons Visiting

FAU Recruiting Notebook 12/14 – JUCO OT Braden Lyons Visiting

Lyons just informed me that he gave UTSA a "soft verbal" last night.

He is still visiting this weekend, so a committed player will be on campus.
Back to the top

Andrew said

Don't get left behind in the SBC, move on up with the Owls!

Back to the top

Rick said

Andrew said

Don't get left behind in the SBC, move on up with the Owls!

Wait, isn't UTSA in CUSA?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

DOH, wrong school…got UTA mixed up with USTA!
Back to the top

Rick said

DOH, wrong school…got UTA mixed up with USTA!

They all sound the same to me too.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Lester Thomas just picked off a pass in the 5A title game. He's playing good.
Back to the top

I think we should make a real push for Lyons.  I know we will do what we can, but he  plays a position where we have a big need. You would think McKinney's success would have some influence. Didn't they come from the same JUCO?
Back to the top

Local said

I think we should make a real push for Lyons.  I know we will do what we can, but he  plays a position where we have a big need. You would think McKinney's success would have some influence. Didn't they come from the same JUCO?

Yes same JUCO. They usually have someone who plays the same position as the prospect to host, but it will be interesting if they ask McKinney because of the connection.

And this is a huge need for FAU. Big battle.
Back to the top

I watched the godby game, I didn't see a whole lot out of lester Thomas. From the point I tuned in, he had 1 tackle and a pass deflection but gave up a key tackle at the goal line allowing the other team to score. Apparently he had an interception and I noticed the other team did not throw or even run much his way to even make any plays.
Back to the top
Control functions: