Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Bobby Petrino to W. Kentucky

Re: Bobby Petrino to W. Kentucky

GeorgiaOwl said

DOES NOT make it right and IS something that needs to change, the worship of the Almighty Dollar over all other humbling attributes such as honor, respect and dedication.

Right but loyalty's a two-way street too.

Take Gene Chizik. Won the national title for Auburn in the 2010 season. Two years later her gets fired by Auburn. How does that inspire honor, respect and dedication?

Cristobal (supposedly) got offers to leave. He stayed. Call it loyalty, dedication, whatever. This year he gets fired.

Not saying that happens all the time, obviously. Within our own conference, MTSU and Troy have gone through some rough patches but kept their guys (so far - if Troy doesn't pick up next year, you'd think the Trojan brass might be looking to move on, especially with all the other high profile hires in the Belt bringing media attention and bowl games to their respective schools).

It's just such an unpredictable business. If coaches have a good year and stay, they might get a $50,000-100,000 bonus. If they get an offer to leave, they may net a $500k+ boost.  Either way, if they have too many consecutive bad years, statistically speaking they're going to get canned. So they strike while the iron's hot.

I get and respect the idea that coaches and universities should commit to each other long term, but I'm not surprised that it doesn't happen. And honestly, if Pelini went 3-9 again for the next three years then I'd recommend we move on too, no matter how committed he is here or how he may want this to be his baby. Imagine keeping him for another 20 years out of loyalty and respect and dedication only to have him get above 0.500 for a couple of those years.

We just can't afford, figuratively or literally, to be in that situation. And neither can a school like Auburn, where the difference between high tide and low tide is tens of millions of dollars.
Back to the top

Re: Bobby Petrino to W. Kentucky

Bobby Petrino to W. Kentucky

True I beleive unless you have done something WRONG (Illegal/Immoral/Cheating) than the school should honor the contract for its term too, give these guys a chance to make their plan work. But at least the Coach gets paid anyhow when dismissed early like Cristoball. We in real life sure as heck don't!
Back to the top
Control functions: