Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

DL Coach Brett Diersen leaves FAU football for Northern Illinois

A source close to the situation confirmed Wednesday morning that special teams coordinator / defensive line coach Brett Diersen has left the Florida Atlantic football team to take an unnamed position at Northern Illinois.

Diersen departs the program after spending just one season aboard Carl Pelini’s inaugural staff.

Under his watch the defensive line finished last in the conference in sacks, while the punt and kick return units improved in yardage from the previous season.

He will now reunite with new Northern Illinois head coach Rod Carey – who was named to the position after Dave Doeren became the head man at NC State. The two have a prior connection, coaching together at the University of Wisconsin-Stout from 2004-2006.

Diersen arrived in Boca Raton after a brief  one year stint as the recruiting coordinator / defensive ends coach at Indiana. He helped improve the team's special team's units in his first season, but was faced with a lack of depth along the defensive line. His main recruiting focus while with the Owls was in the Tampa and St. Petersburg areas.

No individual has been named to replace Diersen on the coaching staff.
Back to the top

Re: DL Coach Brett Diersen leaves FAU football for Northern Illinois

Of the incoming recruits, which ones were recruited by him? What's the likelihood of those recruits changing their verbal and going elsewhere after the announcement is made?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Of the incoming recruits, which ones were recruited by him? What's the likelihood of those recruits changing their verbal and going elsewhere after the announcement is made?

As of now, there are just two commitments from his recruiting  territory to my knowledge - Chamberlain's Ronnie Scott and Jesuit's Reggie Brown. I'm working on getting a reaction from them.

There are a couple of other targets in the area, but I think that the staff will do fine.
Back to the top

DL Coach Brett Diersen leaves FAU football for Northern Illinois

FAU commit Ronnie Scott told me that coach Diersen was a "cool guy" but nothing has changed and he is still committed.
Back to the top

Nice work Andrew!

Here's Coach Pelini's quote put out by FAU via e-mail:

"Brett did a great job while at FAU. He was a good coach and a good mentor to our players. I'm happy he has the ability to take a job closer to home and with a coach whom he has known for a long time. I wish him the best."
Back to the top

Owls' commitment Reggie Brown's father told me that his son, "has NOT veered off course and is still committed to the Owls."
Back to the top

Looks like we already have a replacement.  From footballscoop.com:

FAU: Sources tell us that Miami (OH) special teams coordinator / linebackers coach Matt Edwards will join the FAU staff.

Here's his bio:
Matt Edwards Biography - MURedHawks.com - The Official Athletic Website of Miami University

Back to the top

fauowls44 said

FAU: Sources tell us that Miami (OH) special teams coordinator / linebackers coach Matt Edwards will join the FAU staff.

Here's his bio:
Matt Edwards Biography - MURedHawks.com - The Official Athletic Website of Miami University

Nice find. Going to work on some back ground for Edwards now.

I had been making a short-list of candidates, and Edwards was on it  :D
Back to the top

Andrew said

fauowls44 said

Here's his bio:

Diersen leaving must have been expected.  According to Edwards' twitter account, he was in Boca on the 20th and 21st.  I was also reading the Miami (OH) message board.  They don't seem happy with their coaching staff, but they all seem to like Edwards.  He was a player there before he coached with them.  Of course there are also the  usual "how can we lose a coach to FAU" comments…I've never been to Oxford, Ohio, but I'm guessing Boca Raton is a pretty big upgrade.    :D
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Andrew said

fauowls44 said

Here's his bio:

Diersen leaving must have been expected.  According to Edwards' twitter account, he was in Boca on the 20th and 21st.  I was also reading the Miami (OH) message board.  They don't seem happy with their coaching staff, but they all seem to like Edwards.  He was a player there before he coached with them.  Of course there are also the  usual "how can we lose a coach to FAU" comments…I've never been to Oxford, Ohio, but I'm guessing Boca Raton is a pretty big upgrade.    :D

Still…I would assume a downgrade in pay…but nobody wants to be on a sinking ship so…
Back to the top
Control functions: