Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Schnellenberger, NFL Draft, Morris

Add topic

"Schnellenberger doesn't quite understand the scouting system. Why do running backs at the combine run without pads, a helmet, or a ball in their hand? Why sprint 40 yards in a straight line when that almost never happens in a game? Morris was never a burner – he ran a 4.67 40 at the NFL scouting combine – but Schnellenberger loved the way he ran at the end of games, when everyone else got tired.

The former Miami, Louisville, Oklahoma and FAU coach always timed sprints not at the beginning of practice, but at the end, sort of like how basketball coaches make players shoot free throws when they are most tired. "It's not how fast the guy is the first time," Schnellenberger says. "It's how fast he is the 15th time."

Full story here.
Back to the top

Re: Schnellenberger, NFL Draft, Morris

Schnellenberger, NFL Draft, Morris

Yea I read this the other day.. Nice to see that in our 12 years of existence, we have put out 4 NFL caliber players and 1 superstar. If you ask me, Willy Dukes is gonna be the next big owl to hit the NFL… I guess Schnelly wasn't that horrid of a coach his last 2 years after all.
Back to the top

Good read. (they just had to mention Mary Carey lol)
Back to the top

Owl_Ranger said

Yea I read this the other day.. Nice to see that in our 12 years of existence, we have put out 4 NFL caliber players and 1 superstar. If you ask me, Willy Dukes is gonna be the next big owl to hit the NFL… I guess Schnelly wasn't that horrid of a coach his last 2 years after all.
 Yea he was. Other Belt teams have 4 or more NFL players it really doesn't mean a to. Yea it's nice but in FLA you can pull names out of hat and find a couple NFL players. Add the fact Howard did little to none one on one coaching I doubt he had really anything to do with ALfred Morris.
Back to the top

Owl_Ranger said

Not sure what criteria you use to judge a coach but we won 5 games in those last two yrs
Back to the top

Owl_Ranger said

Its is nice to have some NFL players and some colleges don't have any. But Schnelly was a terrible coach the last 2 years, the game changed and he didn't. Thank you Chip Kelly bastard. Schnelly is a legend and will always be one. And I thank him for everything he did.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Add the fact Howard did little to none one on one coaching I doubt he had really anything to do with ALfred Morris.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

“I was thankful that Coach Schnellenberger gave me an opportunity to play collegiate football and he saw something in me that these other schools didn’t."

I’m glad I was able to play under his tutelage while I was here because he’s a great coach and a great manhe left a great impact on me…he took a chance on me and I’m glad I was able to pay him back on and off the field.”

-Alfred Morris

;)

Back to the top

Rick said

owlcountry40 said

Add the fact Howard did little to none one on one coaching I doubt he had really anything to do with ALfred Morris.

“I was thankful that Coach Schnellenberger gave me an opportunity to play collegiate football and he saw something in me that these other schools didn’t."

I’m glad I was able to play under his tutelage while I was here because he’s a great coach and a great manhe left a great impact on me…he took a chance on me and I’m glad I was able to pay him back on and off the field.”

-Alfred Morris

;)
Lol at this whole thing we both went to FAU practices when Howard was still there and he would stand there and shout somthing every three plays he was not doing and real coaching. Howard most likely tought some good life lesson a etc. But don't be naive and think Howard had any real X and O or the teaching of any real RB skills.
And of course Alfred would say that what was he supposed to say " yea I loved winning 5 games in two years and playing with a bunch of guys who were not D-1 talent.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Lol at this whole thing we both went to FAU practices when Howard was still when he would stand there and shout somthing every three plays he was not doing and real coaching. Howard most likely tought some good life lesson a etc. But don't be naive and think Howard had any real X and O or the teaching of any real RB skills.
And of course Alfred would say that what was he supposed to say " yea I loved winning 5 games in two years and playing with a bunch of guys who were not D-1 talent.

There's another quote from an recruiting interview around the signing period where he flat out states the reason he signed with FAU was to play for Schnelley…too many pages of links to wade through since it is from years back now, but trust me, the reason he came to FAU was to play for your favorite Coach of all time.
Back to the top

Rick, I do not think he is saying Howard, is not a great person or a legend...but its okay to say the game certainly passed him.
Back to the top
Control functions: