Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Why We are 8-8

Add topic

Blame it on Jarvis for putting the wrong team out at the wrong time. Blame it on Dragan for being soft or a "vagina" in the paint. But the truth as to why FAU Basketball is struggling so much is Kelvin Penn. Shocker right? He waste 20.5 minutes a game averaging 3 blocks yes, but only scoring 1.3 points per game. 1.3, I can do better than that and I'm an out of shape jewish boy that is only 6 foot tall. The worst part about Kelvin is his time at the free throw line. He is shooting 40% from the line and that has cost FAU at least three of their 8 losses. He has to go to the line 4 times a game and 3 of FAU's loss have come by 3 or less points. If raises his average to 60% FAU will have won at least 2 of their 8 losses. 11-5 or 10-6 is much better than 8-8. 1.3 points per game,  in 20 minutes a game? I didn't even think that was possible, a lay up is not that hard if you're 6'6".
Free throws are FREE for a reason. FAU is 11-5 if Kelvin Penn shoots better than 40% from the line. Its that simple.
Back to the top

Re: Why We are 8-8

Lets take a look at the games that were in reach that could have gone in our favor. Elon was due to poor defense and a lack of scoring in the second half for our owls so toss that game up to coaching. The stetson game Moody didn't play otherwise we would have beat stetson by 10 or more.I am not blaming Moody so I will put the fault on Jarvis for not letting Moody off the hook for breaking the jarvis rules. The other winnable game was against ULM when Coach Jarvis decided to play Morrow 33 minutes and played trapp as well as Moody a combined 21 minutes. Both Moody and trapp were shooting poorly that night but you have to trust in your star players that when the game is coming down to the wire they will come up with the jump shot or Moody's case throw down a reDUNKulous shot. i agree with you IRAPEPANTHERS that Jarvis needs to put in the players that can come up with the W.

Boca Raton Home of your friendly neighborhood FAU.
Back to the top

I'll go ahead and actually bring correct information to this conversation:
  1. Kelvin Penn has attempted 5 free throws in 16 games, four of them in the win over Louisiana. To say his free throw shooting would have affected anything record-wise is wildly inaccurate.
  2. Moody had a trip to the free throw line in the final 35 seconds that would've put the game away against ULM and missed both, debunking the "you have to trust in your star players that when the game is coming down to the wire" comment. He was on the floor.
  3. Moody wasn't suspended for a "Jarvis rule". He and Baker were disciplined for something that would've drawn him punishment at any school in America, and they've come out of it more mature and focused.

I'll attempt to catch and correct more inaccuracies as we move along.
Back to the top

Rejected! lol

That was a rejection of Brett Royster caliber lol

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Rejected! lol

That was a rejection of Brett Royster caliber lol

LOL, that one ended up in the 3rd row.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Well 8-8 with a basically new team whom had not played competitive games to gether is really not theat bad. And yes they could even be 10-6 or even 11-5 if they closed better, but they are learning!
Back to the top

KLV760 said

I'll go ahead and actually bring correct information to this conversation:
  1. Kelvin Penn has attempted 5 free throws in 16 games, four of them in the win over Louisiana. To say his free throw shooting would have affected anything record-wise is wildly inaccurate.
  2. Moody had a trip to the free throw line in the final 35 seconds that would've put the game away against ULM and missed both, debunking the "you have to trust in your star players that when the game is coming down to the wire" comment. He was on the floor.
  3. Moody wasn't suspended for a "Jarvis rule". He and Baker were disciplined for something that would've drawn him punishment at any school in America, and they've come out of it more mature and focused.

I'll attempt to catch and correct more inaccuracies as we move along.

Could not have said it better! Thanks Ken
Back to the top

This team still sucks and embarrassing stop making excuses for a 5th year coach
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

This team still sucks and embarrassing stop making excuses for a 5th year coach

8-8 isn't exactly sucking or embarrassing.  It's not great, but it's not either of those things either.

Some of these posts, on the other hand, suck and are embarrassing.
Back to the top

Why We are 8-8

You guys are not seeing what IRAPEPANTHERS & XCOWL are saying: The wrong guys are playing minutes.

Penn is a nonfactor in the offense & it hurts to have a whole offender down. When he does touch the ball, he either gets fouled or misses the shot.

On the other hand, while Morrow is a good player, Moody was an allamerican & will be the face of our team down the line, one cannot justify putting Morrow in in these type of situations over our future.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top
Control functions: