Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU College of Medicine gets surprise $3M donation

Add topic

FAU College of Medicine gets surprise $3M donation

The new medical school at Florida Atlantic University is named for his father, Charles E. Schmidt, so Dick Schmidt and his wife Barbara were the honorees at the inaugural Your Medical School Celebration on Jan. 5.

But as the final speaker, a Levitt family $3 million gift caught everyone by surprise at the sold-out event at Royal Palm Yacht Club. It was meant to.

"This brings to fruition a lifelong dream for me," Dr. Morton Levitt, chairman of the integrated medical science department, told nearly 300 people before announcing the Dr. Morton and Cynthia Levitt FAU Medical School Endowment Fund. Forty years ago his late parents asked him to give the charitable gift to a medical school, after they set up a trust in the 1970s, he said in an interview later.

More here
Back to the top

Re: FAU College of Medicine gets surprise $3M donation

Very nice.

Sounds like the FAU medical school is well on its way.

3K+ applicans for just 64 spots. Thats amazing.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

VERY cool and VERY exciting news, both the gift AND the number of applicants for such a small amount of openings, talk about being able to be selective!
Back to the top

owlfamily said

3K+ applicants for just 64 spots. Thats amazing.

Well, it's a smaller class size than most med schools (most  have 120-300 spots) but it's pretty typical to have that number of applicants. In even more desirable areas you can get pretty crazy numbers. For instance, Boston University claims they have 75 applicants for every spot at their med school.

That's not the nation's top medical school (Johns Hopkins) but you would think so with numbers like that.
Back to the top

Excellent!
Back to the top
Control functions: