Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Official Visitors List 1/12: QB Todd Porter Visiting

Add topic

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Over ten prospects expected on campus, with a handful still uncommitted

With quarterback a glaring need for Florida Atlantic in the 2013 recruiting cycle, this weekend will provide an essential few days for the position

O’Fallon (IL.) QB Todd Porter will be making the trip to Boca Raton on Friday with the Owls standing clear in the picture.

“There really high on my list,” Porter. said. “I really like the staff and coaches… and I just got to get down there and see if I can see myself being there for four or five years.”

At 6’3” 185 pounds, Porter threw for just over 3,000 yards and 22 touchdowns his senior season, which was good enough to earn him all-state honors.

The Owls have taken notice of the passer's talents, and offered Porter a scholarship a few months back. Offensive coordinator Brian Wright recently made the trip to Illinois for an in-home visit, and the coach has remained in constant contact with the prospect.

While Porter has the ability to make long vertical throws, what’s also intriguing about him is his footwork and ability to run the ball. He rushed for 10 touchdowns his senior season and accounted for just under 200 yards on the ground.

However, when you ask Porter if he sees himself as a dual –threat option, the answer comes a bit surprising.

“I actually see myself as a pocket passer. He (Coach Wright) likes my ability to get rid of the ball along with my ability to find open receivers and just distribute down the field. He says I would fit well with the system,” Porter. said.

Western Kentucky and Murray State have also extended offers to the signal caller while Northern Illinois has shown some recent interest.

Porter plans to visit Murray State on January 18th and Western Kentucky on the January 25th before making a decision. He currently is playing basketball for his high school. His senior season highlights and breakdown can be viewed here.

Official Visitors List:

TE – Dustin Bowens Flagler – Bowens is committed to FAU and will be taking his only visit of the recruiting process this weekend. The tight end is playing basketball for his high school and is averaging almost a double-double.

CB – Reggie Brown Jesuit – With offers on the table from Boston College and Rutgers, Brown has been committed to the Owls since August. He has already taken a few unofficial visits to campus with his family and remains solid to FAU.

CB – Marcus Clark N. Florida Christian –A current FAU commit, Clark played both ways in high school, but will get his first look at the next level as a defensive back. Appalachian State also offered the prospect.

ATH – Tristan Cooper Plant – Cooper is one of the most actively recruited prospects visiting this weekend. With offers from FAU, Middle Tennessee State and Ball State, the athlete could easily pick up an offer from a BCS school before signing day. The Owls like him as a wide receiver.

LB – Andrew Curtis St. Brophy (AZ.) – Curtis and high school teammate Robert Relf gave commitments to FAU back in December. Originally thought to be a package deal, Curtis will now visit without Relf – as he is working on getting a better test score. The linebacker holds additional offers from Akron and Northern Illinois.

OL – Chris Flaig Vero Beach – Flaig has stated that at the moment he is a “soft” verbal commit to FIU, but has decided to reopen his recruitment after the firing of head coach Mario Cristobal. Offensive linemen are a need in this recruiting cycle, and Flaig’s large frame (6’5” 285 pounds) is intriguing.

QB – DJ Juste Port St. Lucie – The Owls want the local prospect as a quarterback while Illinois likes him as a wide receiver. This battle will come down to what position Juste wants to play at the next level and if he would like to stay near home. Highlights.

DT – Ke’tryus Marks Suncoast – Defensive tackle is a need for FAU, and Marks could be a nice plug along the line. He will take visits to Western Kentucky and Northern Illinois later this month. Highlights.

QB – Todd Porter O’Fallon (IL.) – If everything goes well, Porter could easily give a commitment to FAU over the weekend. However, the quarterback still has other options with Northern Illinois inquiring recent interest. The Owls will need to make a favorable impression on his first visit to Boca Raton.

DB – Ronnie Scott Chamberlin – Scott is a firm verbal pledge to FAU, and will be taking his only official visit.

RB – Raphael Webb Gainesville – With no true power running back committed to the Owls, Webb could fill a void in this class. He will also visit Boston College and Minnesota in the next few weeks.

WR – Kalib Woods Fletcher – Woods committed to FAU in December and will be making his first trip to campus since giving his verbal pledge.

WR – Jared Dangerfield Ft. Scott Community College (KS.) – A junior college prospect, Dangerfield attended Royal Palm Beach High School. Lightly recruited as a senior, the wide receiver blossomed at Ft. Scott where current Owls’ assistant coach Jeff Sims use to be the head coach. Dangerfield holds offers from Baylor, Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State. Highlights.

Note: The above listing was based on the information provided when it was composed. Changes may result according to prospect's schedules.
Back to the top

Re: FAU Official Visitors List 1/12: QB Todd Porter Visiting

Being that he is from Illinois, just take him to the beach in January... COMMITTED!
Back to the top

Jared Dangerfield would be a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge get!

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

Jared Dangerfield would be a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge get!

I totally agree he would be a nice pick up. Does anyone have an idea of how many players Pelini is looking to sign this year? I know last years class was pretty big being his first class an having several transfer, walk ons and what not. Anyway I'm wondering how many schollys are we looking to give out this year? I know of 20 commitments already.

I kick cancers ass and that's all there is to it..
Back to the top

FAU Official Visitors List 1/12: QB Todd Porter Visiting

Just happened to drive by the stadium, and the contingent of recruits is out on the field under the lights. Spotted Pelini in his usual game day attire (red workout shirt and all) and he was shaking hands with the prospects. Rap music was blaring. Looked like a good atmosphere.
Back to the top

Andrew said

Just happened to drive by the stadium, and the contingent of recruits is out on the field under the lights. Spotted Pelini in his usual game day attire (red workout shirt and all) and he was shaking hands with the prospects. Rap music was blaring. Looked like a good atmosphere.

I drove by this too, wondering what this was. It did look like an impressive atmosphere. Hope we can get a few out of this!

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Plant ATH Tristan Cooper said the visit went "really well."

While Cooper remains uncommitted, the trip still had a positive impact.

"It just made me feel a lot better about going there. I loved it," Cooper said in a message Sunday morning. "They are definitely one of my top schools."

FAU RB Travis Jones hosted the prospect and Cooper said the highlight of the weekend was seeing the dorms and touring campus.

The athlete will take a few more visits including one to Middle Tennessee State next weekend before making a decision.
Back to the top

Add another visitor to the list, just confirmed it…

Taravella DB Robert Miller took an official to campus this weekend.

Miller holds offers from Indiana, Western Michigan and the Owls.
Back to the top

Talk about a weekend…

Port St. Luice QB DJ Juste took an official visit to FAU and won MVP for the American team in the Palm Beach County-Treasure Coast All-Star Football Game on Saturday night.

Still waiting to hear back how the visit went.
Back to the top

Ft. Scott Community College WR Jared Dangerfield didn't make it to Boca Raton this weekend, but the Owls are still in the picture.

"No I didn't," Dangerfield said when asked if he visited. "But, they are still on the top."

Look for the wide receiver to visit later this month with Middle Tennessee State and South Alabama also after his services.

Back to the top
Control functions: