Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Source: Big East Might Soon Send Tulsa Invitation

Add topic

After it became official on Wednesday that San Diego State will remain a Mountain West Conference member instead of moving to the Big East, anticipation intensified at the University of Tulsa.

A source close to the situation indicated that a Big East invitation could be delivered by the end of the month and possibly as early as next week.  TU has been a member of Conference USA since 2005. If the university accepts a Big East offer, the membership would apply to all Golden Hurricane sports and likely would take effect with the start of the 2014 football season.

If TU does change conferences, the university would be required to pay an exit fee to C-USA. The amount of such a fee has not yet been calculated by the conference or TU officials.

Story

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Source: Big East Might Soon Send Tulsa Invitation

Source: Big East Might Soon Send Tulsa Invitation

Wow, one of the smallets D1 schhols and of that huge Tulsa TV market huh. But it does give closer travel partner nor SMU and Houston to try and keep them happy and inline with the conference.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Wow, one of the smallets D1 schhols and of that huge Tulsa TV market huh. But it does give closer travel partner nor SMU and Houston to try and keep them happy and inline with the conference.

I'd be suprised to see them invite Tulsa, not sure what if anything the BE gains there.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

GeorgiaOwl said

I'd be suprised to see them invite Tulsa, not sure what if anything the BE gains there.

This happened months ago.  Tulsa is already a member of the AAC (former BE).
Back to the top

walty12 said

GeorgiaOwl said

That ok Walty, I don't see where Tulsa is a great add except in further spreading USA-II west. I mean decent football team but not even a decent media market and a tiny school in terms of student enrollment. Guess they did'nt think adding Tulane and that being the straw that broke the Conferences back was a big deal.
Back to the top

Tulsa will be in CUSA with us this year (same with ECU and Tulane), all 3 will make the jump to the AAC (the new BE [without the Catholic schools]) in the Summer of 2014. Also in the Summer of '14 Old Dominion and WKU will join CUSA in all sports, and Charlotte will join in all sports but football. Charlotte is playing their first season of football this Fall, and will play as an FCS Indy. In the Summer of 2015 Charlotte will join CUSA for football.

Whew.

FWIW, after Tulsa and Tulane leave, Rice will be the only private school left in CUSA.
Back to the top

I hadn't been following the Big East split thing so I'm glad you told me about the new name.

AAC, aka "American Athletic Conference."

Wow. That's almost as original as "College Football Playoffs."

Glad to see WKU come to CUSA though!
Back to the top
Control functions: