Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Welcomes John Semeraro as Senior Associate Athletic Director

Add topic

Florida Atlantic University Director of Athletics Pat Chun has rounded out his senior team with the addition of John Semeraro as the senior associate athletic director for external relations.

“We are excited to bring John Semeraro into our organization,” said Chun. “His leadership abilities and collective experiences will enrich our athletic program. His goals and values align perfectly with our team.”

In this role, Semeraro will have the responsibility of eight divisions within the athletic department including: development, marketing/promotions and special events, premium seats/ticket sales, ticket operations, corporate sales, the university trademark licensing and the media relations department.

Semeraro will join current senior associates Melissa Dawson, who oversees internal operations, as well as Dexter LaMont who oversees business development.

“My family and I are thrilled to join the Florida Atlantic University community,” said Semeraro. “I genuinely appreciate Pat Chun providing this tremendous opportunity and cannot wait to hit the ground running with a great team of people. I am eager to connect and collaborate with students, coaches, university staff, fans, alumni and supporters as we work to develop leaders, build champions and enhance the experience for all those involved with FAU Athletics.”
Prior to FAU, Semeraro completed a two-year stint with Saint Leo University’s department of athletics where he was associate athletic director for external operations. During his tenure at Saint Leo, Semeraro focused on areas involving local community engagement, game environment, fundraising, corporate partnerships, athletic branding, special events and regional marketing.

He returned to Saint Leo after he served as the assistant commissioner for external operations at the Peach Belt Conference. He also was actively involved on the NCAA Committee of Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct and the NCAA Division II Southeast Regional Advisory Committee for men’s golf.

Semeraro graduated from Saint Leo with a degree in accounting and was a three-time male athlete and scholar-athlete of the year in soccer and golf. He received his M.B.A. and master’s degree in sports administration from Ohio University.

Source: FAUSports.com
Back to the top

Re: FAU Welcomes John Semeraro as Senior Associate Athletic Director

glad to see new faces in the department
Back to the top

Glad to see someone with an accounting degree in there. Someone who likes details and thoroughness.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Impressive to me that Chun found money to hire all these guys. Not sure where it's coming from but we definitely needed the staff.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Impressive to me that Chun found money to hire all these guys. Not sure where it's coming from but we definitely needed the staff.

I'm not sure he found the money.  I think we are seeing a different (and better IMO) way of doing business.  Pat has the experience to grow the program.  He knows we need xyz to advance the program so to get there he is building the staff and infrastructure to reach those goals.  The new focus and plan will generate that money.

Contrast that with Craig who just wanted to balance the budget.  That's not difficult to do.  You just cut something and do without.  You can never grow the program that way.  Hoping that money just falls from the sky is not and was not a great plan.

I think we are seeing that new plan taking shape.  Something we haven't seen for far too long.  A very welcome sight.
Back to the top

My understanding is that Chun hasn't needed to find the money to hire new guys. It's a one in, one out system. It sounds kind of cold, but he is, in fact, surrounding himself with his kind of people. The buzz around the Ox is that complacency is death. I can't speak from much experience regarding how that compares to Angelos, but I'm told it's rather different. Expect more moves like this in the near future.
Back to the top

FAU Welcomes John Semeraro as Senior Associate Athletic Director

fauowl said

…Craig who just wanted to balance the budget.  That's not difficult to do…

dkurtenbach said

The buzz around the Ox is that complacency is death.

+1, +1

Culture needed to change, will continue to change, and this is likely only the beginning.
Back to the top

FYI

On the FAUSPORTS website Directory, it lists the previous Senior Associate AD for External Relations as… Dexter LaMont.

So Dexter is now gone.

There are actually two Senior Associate ADs, the other one being Melissa Dawson (Senior Associate AD for INTERNAL Relations). I hope she's not replaced. I think her work covering the Angelos-Chun gap proves she knows what she's doing there.
Back to the top

I can't say I'm too broken up about Dexter leaving. Marketing was just not where it should be with him running the show. As for Melissa that's a different story. She did a fantastic job as interim AD and I hope her job is safe. She does a good job and she seems like one of those people who are proud to be an Owl!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

FYI

On the FAUSPORTS website Directory, it lists the previous Senior Associate AD for External Relations as… Dexter LaMont.

So Dexter is now gone.

Not gone…….

Senior Associate AD, Sales.

They have a cached version of the website up from Friday, the changes will be up soon.
Back to the top
Control functions: