Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Treasure Coast recruiting?

Add topic

Here are two articles on Treasure Coast commitments and lack thereof. It doesn't appear FAU is doing much up there; FIU and a bunch of out-of-state schools are scooping up our kids.

North Recruiting Notebook: End of recruiting a game of musical chairs

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2013/jan/30/end-of-recruiting-a-game-of-musical-chairs/

South Recruiting Notebook: Some players still waiting for first offer
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2013/jan/30/south-recruiting-notebook-players-wait-on-offers/
Back to the top

Re: Treasure Coast recruiting?

This is an area we should flat out dominate.  Need to start building relationships up there.  The population over the next 10 years in that area is going to boom.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Well they are after DJ Juste and I think he is going to end up signing with the Owls.
Back to the top

We do need to dominate BUT most of the kid's mentioned are not the type FAU needs now going into CUSA. If a kid is considering Wagner we don't really need that level of talent. And I beleive we are just TOO close to home for many kids, they want to get AWAY from Mom & Dad! I think we could recruit SO WELL up north and in the midwest though! SO WELL!
Back to the top

Jupiter through Sebastian is probably the perfect distance away - 2 or so hours. Most of these kids like SoFla and many find it difficult to adjust in small and sometimes rural towns, or big cities.

One of the articles mentions that a few of the kids are flying under the radar and might be god catches. I hope FAU reads about them and at least checks them out.
Back to the top

Treasure Coast recruiting?

Wasn't Freedom Whitfield from up that way?
Back to the top

LaVicka made a good point on Twitter (but not here for some reason, even though it was likely in response to this very thread) that we don't have to recruit every nearby territory all the time just because it's a nearby territory.

For instance, I'm not surprised when some local high school coach is exasperated because he thinks he has a bunch of Division I players and hey, it's right in FAU's backyard so why aren't they all getting scholarships to FAU. Every year there are players that are "under the radar." Every year we hear about these people. It's unfortunate when these kids get left out, it really is, but it's not like the FAU coaches are bumbling in the dark here: they know their needs and what guys they want. And I'd rather us take the guys we're targeting rather than signing potentially less-talented players just because we need to build/maintain a pipeline to some schools. I just don't think that's the best way to do business at this point.

Also, taking a kid that has no other D-1 offers is a definite gamble. We do it occasionally, of course, but we're at the point now where we shouldn't have to. With the beautiful new stadium and the C-USA affiliation, we shouldn't be patting ourselves on the back for "stealing one" away from the Bethune-Cookmans of the world.

Back to the top

I agree with Ken's assesment, not saying we should take subpar players just to take them.  I am saying we need to build relationships with the schools and coaches because from what I have read there is going to be a population boom on the Treasure Coast in the next 10 years.  More population = more DI athletes.

Back to the top

I would actually say FAU has been more active in their backyard than years before.

Austin Bland, Greg Hankerson and Robert Miller are all from Broward County. If they land Juste he is a Treasure Coast kid, and if Jakobi Smith commits he would be from Dade County.

I know I might catch some flack for saying this, but it's not like Palm Beach County has treated FAU well the past two years. Mikey Bullard didn't make grades last year along with Tremaine McCullough. Bam Howard committed early in the process this year and then had academic issues.

FAU was the first real school to go after Suncoast's Ke'Tryus Marks this year, but they can't help when Arkansas steps in with the full package.

I would have to say they have faired pretty well, especially with Keith Bryant set to visit this weekend. It's not like they can hand out an offer to every kid in the area simply because they play football close to FAU.
Back to the top

A lot of times getting to these kids early is a big deal and gives us an edge.  We need to be able to evaluate local talent and show them interest as early as possible.

Back to the top
Control functions: