Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU "Game Day" Traditions...

FAU "Game Day" Traditions...

So to all the students out there are there any "Game Day" "Game Week" traditions for Football going on?

I saw the below picture in a CUSA thread about Southern Miss:

When I asked if the rock was repainted every season, they said that it was done before every football game.  I would LOVE to see something like this done at FAU. Have the Greeks/Student body decorate something and have it in front of the stadium by the Rats Mouth on the road so people could see it.

The Bonfire is great, and I think kicks the seaon of well, but something like this that would change each game would be neat to see and help "Fire up" the pride.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: FAU "Game Day" Traditions...

Trust me, we've had plenty of ideas that we brought to the school, and they've said no to about all of them. Moving the Rats Mouth in front of the stadium was the first time in a LONG TIME that the university has listened to us when it comes to school spirit and game day traditions.
Back to the top

HootinHollerin said

Trust me, we've had plenty of ideas that we brought to the school, and they've said no to about all of them. Moving the Rats Mouth in front of the stadium was the first time in a LONG TIME that the university has listened to us when it comes to school spirit and game day traditions.

With all the changes in the AD office and new attitude I wonder if these ideas could not be revisited?

The FIU game was a GREAT example IMHO. Whoever put that Panther statue at the feet of Owlsley deserves a medal. I loved that people put signs on it and took pictures by it. Thats the kind of stuff I would like to see.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I feel like the administration can care less about what we think.. I'd love to see a new Lei (Hawaiian flower necklace) on the Schnelly statue every week since we're all "football in paradise". Maybe it could be 2 Lei's (one for a sorority and one for a fraternity) on the statue each week and have a different student organization do it each week.. Only reason I thought of a Lei is because I wore one during the Wagner game and was told it's a good accessory since we're down in the tropics and all.
Back to the top

We wanted to have each organization paint banners for every home game, and having the organization with the best banner get points that can go to Homecoming or Greek Week. We wanted the banners on the North end of the Breezeway or by the Alumni Center and the Rec. 
Back to the top

I've seen that rock idea multiple places - I believe Michigan State does it too. There was an idea put forth by (I believe) former SGA Prez Ayden Maher to create a space on campus where people could paint (like a wall that organizations could paint on) but it wasn't related to gameday at all.

My favorite idea is to create a dedicated space where a professional sand castle artist could make a sculpture for the game and people could take pictures in front of that. Not only would it be unique - does anybody anywhere do that? - but it would definitely tie into the beach theme. Imagine a sand sculpture of an Owl standing on a defeated panther… see where I'm going with this?

People can do some pretty awesome things with sand.

Or if we can't get a sand castle for every game, at least do it for the opening game. That would be the second best option. If neither of those was realistic, the third option would be to create a permanent sculpture that looked just like an Owl-vs-panther sand sculpture to install in the stadium.

Owl_Ranger said

I feel like the administration can care less about what we think.. I'd love to see a new Lei (Hawaiian flower necklace) on the Schnelly statue every week since we're all "football in paradise". Maybe it could be 2 Lei's (one for a sorority and one for a fraternity) on the statue each week and have a different student organization do it each week..

I really like this idea and I can't really see why it can't be done unofficially. If anything, I think Athletics might be hesitant about rubber-stamping this idea for fear that people won't just stop with leis and they will "disrespect"/vandalize the statue in other ways. But like I said, I would push forward with this idea.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

I've seen that rock idea multiple places - I believe Michigan State does it too. There was an idea put forth by (I believe) former SGA Prez Ayden Maher to create a space on campus where people could paint (like a wall that organizations could paint on) but it wasn't related to gameday at all.

My favorite idea is to create a dedicated space where a professional sand castle artist could make a sculpture for the game and people could take pictures in front of that. Not only would it be unique - does anybody anywhere do that? - but it would definitely tie into the beach theme. Imagine a sand sculpture of an Owl standing on a defeated panther… see where I'm going with this?

People can do some pretty awesome things with sand.

Or if we can't get a sand castle for every game, at least do it for the opening game. That would be the second best option. If neither of those was realistic, the third option would be to create a permanent sculpture that looked just like an Owl-vs-panther sand sculpture to install in the stadium.

Owl_Ranger said

I feel like the administration can care less about what we think.. I'd love to see a new Lei (Hawaiian flower necklace) on the Schnelly statue every week since we're all "football in paradise". Maybe it could be 2 Lei's (one for a sorority and one for a fraternity) on the statue each week and have a different student organization do it each week..

I really like this idea and I can't really see why it can't be done unofficially. If anything, I think Athletics might be hesitant about rubber-stamping this idea for fear that people won't just stop with leis and they will "disrespect"/vandalize the statue in other ways. But like I said, I would push forward with this idea.

What about our little beach are just inside the gate?
Back to the top

Owl_Ranger said

I feel like the administration can care less about what we think.. I'd love to see a new Lei (Hawaiian flower necklace) on the Schnelly statue every week since we're all "football in paradise". Maybe it could be 2 Lei's (one for a sorority and one for a fraternity) on the statue each week and have a different student organization do it each week.. Only reason I thought of a Lei is because I wore one during the Wagner game and was told it's a good accessory since we're down in the tropics and all.

Great idea, hang a cople of Leis (plural form?) and do some Howard "worship" ritual to go along with the hanging of the Leis - and don't forget the Owsley statue too! Can't we get a jersey on him on game days?
Back to the top

Theres no way the painting of that rock at so miss was a university sanctioned event whenever that started a few decades ago! Pick what you guys wanna do and DO IT! Bring leis to the rats mouth for the opener and adorn the schnelly with it, whos gonna stop all of you?

ATTICA ATTICA!  ;D
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Theres no way the painting of that rock at so miss was a university sanctioned event whenever that started a few decades ago! Pick what you guys wanna do and DO IT! Bring leis to the rats mouth for the opener and adorn the schnelly with it, whos gonna stop all of you?

ATTICA ATTICA!  ;D

Easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission! Just don't destroy property or spray paint the Howard statue or owlsey or whatever his fing name is

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: