Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: #20 Miami vs FAU - Feb. 20th, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

Add topic

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

What:    #20 Miami (3-0) at Florida Atlantic (3-0)

When:      Wed, Feb. 20th at 6:30 PM

Where:    FAU Baseball Stadium

Audio & Stats  Here

Series:    Miami holds a 51-10 all-time advantage in the series, and took three games from FAU last season.

Projected Starting Pitchers:

Miami - LHP Thomas Woodrey    0-0, 0.00 ERA, 1 K, 0 BB
FAU - LHP Brandon Rhodes    0-0, 0.00 ERA, 3 K, 0 BB

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Having swept Cincinnati in a three-game series over the weekend, Florida Atlantic enters Wednesday night’s contest looking to continue a telling start to the season.

The Owls relied on sound pitching to counter Cincinnati and will expect the same production from left-handed freshman Brandon Rhodes against Miami.

“I'm hoping he can just go out there and pitch his game,” head coach John McCormack said. "The one thing he does really well is he competes. He has a very good changeup, a good curve ball and a fastball that can be explosive, but the one thing I like about him is he always competes."

Rhodes will be making his first career start after tossing two scoreless innings in relief against Cincinnati on Saturday. The Lake Worth native, compiled six shutouts and a perfect game while at Park Vista High School and had been recruited by McCormack for years. Rhodes will be tested early against Miami, but McCormack feels that he should have the ability to work into the later innings of the game.

Outfielder Corey Keller (pictured above) proved to be the Owls most reliable bat against Cincinnati, tallying a .615 batting average (8-of-13) and 3 RBIs over the weekend. The senior recorded three extra base hits in the series, and scored three runs in Sunday's extra innings win.

McCormack is hoping that Keller can continue his hot start, and provide a spark hitting out of the five-hole on Wednesday.

"That's what he needs to do, that's what he's been groomed to do, and that's what he did last year. We're very comfortable with where he is at," McCormack said.

First baseman Mark Nelson and outfielder Nathan Pittman lead the Sun Belt Conference in walks with six a piece. The duo have been a reliable clout for the Owls' offense this young season and have contributed to 11 of the team’s 20 runs thus far.

Miami travels to Boca Raton after completing a three-game sweep of Rutgers.

The Hurricanes will hand the ball to freshman left-hander Thomas Woodrey, who will also be making his first career start. Woodrey picked up a save in relief action on Saturday against Rutgers, retiring the final four batters. Miami outscored Rutgers 17-5 in the series, and benefited from strong defense and pitching.

"It's the University of Miami so they are going to be good. Defensively they look fundamentally sound, so I'm expecting a good game," McCormack said.

Miami is currently ranked #20 in this week’s Collegiate Baseball Newspaper Poll and was picked by the media to finish 4th in the ACC’s Costal Division. The Hurricanes 2012 signing class was herald as the ninth-best in the nation according to Collegiate Baseball, and eight of those freshman debuted against Rutgers. The club made headlines last week when it was reported that the team would undergoHGH testing.
Back to the top

Re: Baseball Preview: #20 Miami vs FAU - Feb. 20th, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

GAME THREAD: #20 Miami vs FAU - Feb. 20th, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

Rarely do I root for the Owls. Tomorrow will be one of those nights. Go get 'em, Owls!
Back to the top

pikepanther said

Rarely do I root for the Owls. Tomorrow will be one of those nights. Go get 'em, Owls!

Hurry, screen shot this and frame it! Lol
Thanks for the support! Maybe come August 31st you can put on a red shirt and pull for the Owls at Sun Life Stadium?
Back to the top

HootinHollerin said

pikepanther said

Thanks for the support!

I echo Hootin's sentiments…here here!
Back to the top

Family was supposed to attend, but with a lecture that is mandatory i have to attend for one of my classes starting at 330pm and going until god knows when and the wife working till 5, wont make it. Wish we could though. But Go Owls, beat the Canes.
Back to the top

Re: GAME THREAD: #20 Miami vs FAU - Feb. 20th, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

Pretty nice crowd for tonight's game. Of course, UM has a presence.

Back to the top

Also want to point out tons of MLB scouts in the stands...
Back to the top

Brandon Rhodes strikes out two, while Nathan Pittman makes a diving catch in center field, and FAU gets out of the inning unscratched.

0-0

Mid 1st

Back to the top

Owls gather two hits, but leave two runners on base.

0-0

End 1st
Back to the top

Rhodes is looking very good. 4 K's already.

0-0

Mid 2nd.
Back to the top
Control functions: