Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2013 Edition of the Football Bonfire

Since UM is our first game does that mean we're burning Sebastian at the bonfire this year?

I actually had a suggestion, I guess it would be geared towards Burdman since I think he's the man in charge of setting up the bonfire? We all know there are TONS of students who either live on Campus or go to class every day that grew up as UM fans or maybe their parents did, either way, my suggestion would be to tell all the students to bring their UM shirts or hats or whatever they have that they want to burn and trade it in for an FAU T-Shirt. Maybe instead of burning an Ibis we can actually burn all the shirts that are traded in for an FAU shirt.

The Dirty Birds threw our Sexy Rexy and T-Rex shirts into the bonfire the year he left

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: 2013 Edition of the Football Bonfire

Would make sense…….

Maybe PowerOwl will swing by soon.

;D
Back to the top

My fraternity builds the effigy to burn every year but Carl Pelini put a stop to that. If im not mistaken i think he thought it was in bad taste but then again he could just be bitter because we burnt a Nebraska one.
Back to the top

sjacks78 said

My fraternity builds the effigy to burn every year but Carl Pelini put a stop to that. If im not mistaken i think he thought it was in bad taste but then again he could just be bitter because we burnt a Nebraska one.

That's a shame. You guys (ATO?) did a great job! So if we can't burn a UM mascot, what's wrong with burning a bunch of UM gear ie: Hats, shirts, shorts, car flags?

Bad taste? I mean this is college football, not T-Ball where everyone has to get a chance to play and you get a trophy for participation

Back to the top

BONFIRES ARE TRADITION EVERYWHERE! C'mon Coach, let the students and players have some fun together, get loose and TAKE DOWN THE CANES!
Back to the top

We love building it but I think it would take an outcry from the fans to get him to change his mind. If he doesn't appreciate burning the effigy I can't imagine he would like burning shirts and such.
Back to the top

2013 Edition of the Football Bonfire

sjacks78 said

We love building it but I think it would take an outcry from the fans to get him to change his mind. If he doesn't appreciate burning the effigy I can't imagine he would like burning shirts and such.

Fine, I think the students should find a way to do something similar on their own. Without proper permits or permission a bonfire might be a bit too dangerous, unless any of your brothers are also fire fighters

Back to the top

sjacks78 said

This really makes me angry if true.  Howard started several traditions and Pelini comes in and stops several of them.  I am sorry but this is our University not his.  This is MY University.

I know I have lost my anonymity and the admin reads this so I am openly calling BS to the practice of new people ending traditions no matter how good or bad they are.

I love what Pelini is doing on the field and how he is running the program, but don't start dictating what goes on off the field.  We used to have a ladies luncheon–canceled.  We used to have a breakfast the Friday before games for the Owl Club–canceled.  We used to march down the breezeway before games–canceled.  We used to touch the Owlsley statue before games–canceled.  We used to burn the opponents effigy at the bonfire–canceled.  We used to allow media to cover practices–canceled.

If he becomes coach of a school like Clemson, where the players have been touching Howard's rock for 100 years, and he decides he doesn't want the players to do that now, they would tell him to go p!ss up a rope (I don't even know what that means but I really like to say it with conviction).

This is Our University.  Have some respect for that!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Bad taste? I mean this is college football, not T-Ball where everyone has to get a chance to play and you get a trophy for participation

Back to the top

fauowl said

sjacks78 said

This really makes me angry if true.  Howard started several traditions and Pelini comes in and stops several of them.  I am sorry but this is our University not his.  This is MY University.

I know I have lost my anonymity and the admin reads this so I am openly calling BS to the practice of new people ending traditions no matter how good or bad they are. 

I love what Pelini is doing on the field and how he is running the program, but don't start dictating what goes on off the field.  We used to have a ladies luncheon–canceled.  We used to have a breakfast the Friday before games for the Owl Club–canceled.  We used to march down the breezeway before games–canceled.  We used to touch the Owlsley statue before games–canceled.  We used to burn the opponents effigy at the bonfire–canceled.  We used to allow media to cover practices–canceled.

If he becomes coach of a school like Clemson, where the players have been touching Howard's rock for 100 years, and he decides he doesn't want the players to do that now, they would tell him to go p!ss up a rope (I don't even know what that means but I really like to say it with conviction).

This is Our University.  Have some respect for that!

I agree with almost all that you said.

Clearly he's mindful of what happened when FAU burnt the big red N. And I get that. But for him to cancel it outright is unacceptable to me. If he's not down with it, he and the rest of the football team don't have to show up. That way we continue one of the highest-attended Fall traditions and he can wash his hands of any criticism that might arise by saying, "Hey, I didn't approve or participate in any of that."

On that note, the outrage from Nebraska (and later, Alabama) over stuff we've done is absolutely ridiculous. Considering their strengths, their history and (usually) their season accomplishments, we shouldn't even be a blip on their radar. They need to grow some thicker skin.

But I'm with you: I like where things are going under Pelini and Chun though for them to blatantly disregard our traditions is an affront to the very people they're trying to court for game attendance and donations. They need to get their sh*t together.

Back to the top
Control functions: