Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

City of Boca to Move July 4th Event Off-Campus

Add topic

According to the Sun Sentinel.

The subject came up as a done deal at a meeting of the taxing authority that just built the $15 million park with eight ball fields off Military Trail on Spanish River Boulevard. Now the Greater Boca Raton Beach & Park District is concerned about having one entrance, inadequate parking and the cost of possible damages by the thousands who always trek to the city's celebration.

The university said the decision was not theirs.

The change was inevitable, Woika said.

"The city and FAU have known for a long time that with the growth of FAU and the growth of the city event, eventually the city's 4th of July Celebration would need to find a new home," Assistant City Manager Mike Woika said via email. "With the continuing construction on the FAU campus and the opening of the Spanish River Athletic Complex at DeHoernle Park, it seemed like this was a good time to make the switch. It was a decision based on venue, not cost.

"There are other venues available, but the new location at DeHoernle will be absolutely great," Woika added. "Excellent facilities and plenty of room for families to spread out, for the children's activities, and for the stage and food vendors."

Parking shouldn't be a problem with the Spanish River Library across the street and other large lots nearby, Woika said. "The fireworks will be fired from the south side of the lake, so they should be spectacular and visible to everyone in the park."

============================================================
============================

I get that the city wants to show off their brand new park but getting everybody in and out of one park entrance is going to be a nightmare.
Back to the top

Re: City of Boca to Move July 4th Event Off-Campus

Owl2Doc said

I get that the city wants to show off their brand new park but getting everybody in and out of one park entrance is going to be a nightmare.

+1

Spanish River is not built for that kind of one way traffic…….
Back to the top

City of Boca to Move July 4th Event Off-Campus

That sucks. I wont be able to see them from my house anymore.

I always kind of hoped that they would use Geo Group Stadium for a 4th of July concert and then have everyone stay in there for the fireworks.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

I always kind of hoped that they would use Geo Group Stadium for a 4th of July concert and then have everyone stay in there for the fireworks.

Agreed - seems like such a waste to me to have a venue that seats ~30,000 people and not use it for something on a national holiday.

At the same time, I can understand the idea that people may want to stretch out on a blanket on the grass and watch the fireworks. Furthermore, a park encourages grilling and sports before the actual event much more easily than on-campus.

But like I said, I honestly think this is about getting people over to the new park rather than trying to take away the event from FAU. You could also argue that by only having one entrance (two if you count the library) then you'd need fewer overtime (?) cops directing traffic before/after the event as compared to FAU's four entrances. So it may be about that too. Smaller space, fewer entrances, less money the city has to lay out for police.

In any case, this is one of FAU's signature events and I'm not in favor of anything that de-emphasizes the role of the university in the community.
Back to the top

The stadium would be perfect for music and fireworks.
Back to the top

It'd be nice to let people both on the field as well as in the stands. They've set off fireworks after the Gala fundraiser on the east side of the stadium the past two years.
Back to the top

Decades ago when the Old Ft. Lauderdale strikers played at lockhart they would do fireowrks for the 4th of July after the game.

Once the game was done they let peole onto the field with blankets so they could lay down and watch. It was awesome and I had hopes that FAU and the City could do the same at Geo Stadium.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

FAUfasho said

It'd be nice to let people both on the field as well as in the stands.

Right and they could do that.

I'm hoping the City will try it out at the park for a year and then decide it was more of a hassle that way, thus moving it back to FAU.
Back to the top
Control functions: