Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Football Spring Preview: Quarterbacks

Returning:
Stephen Curtis (14-31, 127 yards) - RS Junior
Melvin German - Senior

Newcomers:
Jaquez Johnson - Sophomore

On the Way:
Greg Hankerson
DJ Juste

- Stats are career numbers.

Overview: For the third straight year Florida Atlantic will enter spring practice without a clear cut starter at quarterback. Graham Wilbert graduated after a solid senior campaign, leaving the Owls with plenty of questions about who will be taking snaps next fall. The coaches will look to either Stephen Curtis (pictured above), Melvin German or Jaquez Johnson to take control of the offense. Curtis, a redshirt junior, is the only player in the group to have seen game action while at FAU and started last year's season opener before being replaced by Wilbert. German and Johnson both joined the program after productive careers in junior college, but neither have thrown a pass while at FAU. German was suppose to compete for the starting job last fall, but academic issues kept him sidelined. His eligibility status remains murky, but it is believed he could be contending for the starting position. Johnson is a junior college signee that is expected to provide instant depth and needed talent. He has the ability to pass and run the ball, which is vital to the Owl's spread offense.

Player on the Spot: - Stephen Curtis - Curtis has played in 10 career games, and is the most experienced quarterback on the roster. His dual-threat capabilities allowed him to secure the starting job out of fall camp last season, but he kept that title for just one half of football. This will mark the second spring camp in the spread system for him, which should give him an edge over the other two quarterbacks. If he wants to be the starter, his time is now.

Name to Remember: - Jaquez 'Quez' Johnson - Rumors have circulated that Johnson has already been penciled in as the starting quarterback, but thats simply speculation at this point. Offensive coordinator Brian Wright hand picked Johnson in the Owl’s latest signing class, and a lot will be asked of the sophomore. Johnson provides nice size (6'1" 225 pounds), and a new face to the program.

Key Stat: - 1 - Thats the number of career FBS starts between the trio of quarterbacks on the roster. Game experience is a premium in college football and that means the Owls will need someone to step up and take leadership of the offense.

Forecast: While it would be nice for FAU to conclude spring practice with a named starting quarterback, it's most likely not going to happen. Expect the three quarterbacks to take an equal share of snaps, with neither of them being able to secure the starting gig. It will be interesting to see the confidence level that Curtis has in the simulated game situations, while also monitoring the rate at which Johnson picks up the offense. German may be the most talented player of the bunch, but until his grades are in order he remains a question mark. The battle for the starting quarterback position should carry well into fall camp.

Up Next: Running Backs
Back to the top

Re: FAU Football Spring Preview: Quarterbacks

Nice write up.  German seems like the most talented of the bunch, this is his senior season right?
Back to the top

Don't sleep on "DJ Juste" wildcat hybrid like quarterback who is motivated to prove he can play D1 quarterback.
Back to the top

owlmart said

Nice write up.  German seems like the most talented of the bunch, this is his senior season right?
 out of curiosity, what makes you so positive German is the most talented?
Back to the top

FAU Football Spring Preview: Quarterbacks

DumpTruck said

owlmart said

I agree we haven't really seen any of them play…I am totally open to anyone winning the job.  I don't care who, I want someone who can move the ball and doesn't turn it over.  Thats all I want, if it happens to be the least athletically gifted player then I am ok with that.
Back to the top

I agree we haven't really seen any of them play…I am totally open to anyone winning the job.  I don't care who, I want someone who can move the ball and doesn't turn it over.  Thats all I want, if it happens to be the least athletically gifted player then I am ok with that.

It's a total question mark. I personally don't see German as the answer. I point to the fact that coaches felt the need to get quez.
Back to the top

DumpTruck said

It's a total question mark. I personally don't see German as the answer. I point to the fact that coaches felt the need to get quez.

I dont really see signing Quez as having anything to do with MGIII's talents or potential to start.

College football programs recruit QB's every single year.  With issues such as injury, leaving early, school, drugs, fights etc….you would be an idiot as a coach to put all of your eggs in one basket…especially the basket of a 20 year old kid.  You dont have a contigency plan for an injured QB…you better have a contingency plan for another job.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I thought German used his redshirt last year making a redshirt junior as well.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I thought German used his redshirt last year making a redshirt junior as well.

FAU's website lists German as a senior.
Back to the top

DumpTruck said

owlmart said

I clearly said "Seems like" not "I am positive" but I am basing it off ratings, game tape, measurables. 
Back to the top
Control functions: